You can type here any text you want

FAST, BHJ reluctor clocking/timing probs.... can I compensate with XFI?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

disco stu

I am having a problem with having too much timing. Crank ref is 10, cam signal comes in 80 deg btdc, and I have 58 deg with idle cells at 0. The reluctor wheel is clocked differently than the one on my car.

The window on mine opens at ~0-2 deg BTDC
006.jpg

The one on this closes at about 2~4 degrees ATDC
001.jpg

Why would it be clocked like so? Is there anything else I can do?

Your saying your timing is at 58 degrees at idle with zero n the map?

Yep. I've tried different reference angles, but it canot get it in the ballpark.

Come to think of it, your using a distritbutor correct? If you are the reluctor on your balancer has be clocked at 50 degrees. JUst the way the classic fast worked. Not sure on the xfi. It reads the timing differently than a dfi system. Why your balancer reluctors are all different, i guess the quality control at BHJ is poor..

This is not my car. It's a customers. I don't think I can change the reference around much, just 2 or 3 degrees with the Buick DIS ignition strategy. Because it sure has not made a difference.

The balance is not reclocked on my car. It was pretty close, I just had to change it a couple degrees.

From the fast manual:

Many factory ignition systems have a pre-determined amount of advance “built in” to them. On systems of this type, timing values entered into the spark table must be at least 0.25 degree higher than the reference angle.

So by you entering 0 in the timing table that might be an issue. Also if your using a dial back timing light to check your timing your timing will show double the actual timing becuase of the waste spark.

I think if values are zero then timing would be at the min. of 10. I am not using a dial back light, because I did not think it would work with the waste spark.

I got your email thanks, Try entering 11 degrees in the timing map and see where this takes you. WOnder if the outer ring on the balancer is in the right spot also, maybe you could compare it to ta stock balancer just to be sure.

Yeah, I confirmed TDC when I degreed the cam. When enter degrees more than 10 it advances.

Come to think of it, your using a distritbutor correct? If you are the reluctor on your balancer has be clocked at 50 degrees. JUst the way the classic fast worked. Not sure on the xfi.

This is NOT true of either the Classic or the XFI. You can run a distributor with a CRA of 10 degrees.

Need some more details. Are you using an adaptor harness? Are you using our distributor adaptor kit? Which ignition strategy are you using? If you are seeing 50+ degrees of timing and using the Buick DIS ignition strategy then your balancer may have been reclocked. Try swapping to the IPU ignition strategy and changing the CRA to 50.

John, if you prefer, drop me a PM where/when I can call you to straighten

Cal, call me whenever you get a minute. I know your a busy guy. Gimme a holler whenever you can

I'm uising an adaptor harness, with a coilpack, DIS strategy. Can I run an IPU strategy on a stock ign? If so I'll try it tomorrow. If not I need to get this thing reclocked real soon.

I guess otto was confusing me, was reading some older posts on it earlier tonight, so this is all incorrect? using a distritbutor with a factory crank sensor? I know john is not using a distributor here, but if he did he would not have to do all this?

on a fast system,you need a min of 10* difference from cam to crank,Cam signal coming before crank signal, But if your using the factory reluctor on your balancer that is at 10* btdc,Which will only allow you to run 0* timing.Your crank signal needs to be 10( more than the max timing you plan to run.

IE.. Cam signal at 60*
Crank signal at 50*
will allow 40* max timing

So on a fast system to use the stock crank sensor you must reset the reluctor to signal at 50* or 10* more than the max timing you plan on running
I hope i didnt make this confusing
I can give you my number if its easier to walk you thru

I checked the IPU strategy and set the crank ref to 55 deg aond it's on target. Should I run this setup or reclock the ring?

I guess otto was confusing me, was reading some older posts on it earlier tonight, so this is all incorrect? using a distritbutor with a factory crank sensor? I know john is not using a distributor here, but if he did he would not have to do all this?

This is what we first thought back when we did it.
But the way it fires the ign output it will run a distributor with a stock balancer,But you must check Buick DIS to use it.

Stu,If the timing is exact to the timing map,I believe your fine.
Double check it at a few different points to be sure it follows

This is what we first thought back when we did it.
But the way it fires the ign output it will run a distributor with a stock balancer,But you must check Buick DIS to use it.

Yep, same here. Funny, running a distributor on my car with DIS strategy, and running a DIS on this car with IPU strategy.

Back