You can type here any text you want

FAST w/new operating system?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nojug

I have the Windows version of FAST now running on Windows 98 it works fine but I was thinking about getting a new laptop, a Dell, will I have any problem running the FAST on Windows ME if so is their any software available to make it compatible. Im just tired of f***ing with all of these old batteries that stop working right when you need them most and the only other option is to spend 1,200 just for a reliable laptop to run the car with. Someone please let me know their experinces good or bad with FAST and ME because Im ordering the thing monday.
Thanks in Advance,
Jay

Haven't seen any problems with FAST and Windows ME. Windows ME all by itself though does seem to be the least stable version of Windows out there. You might have a lot of other trouble.

FAST w/new operating system

What ever don't use Windows ME, That oprating system is junk, and is not supported any more. Stay with Windows98, or Windows 2000. WindowsXP is ok. Good luck

Just went this. We were using a toshiba with windows M E we had to us a software progam from Circut City to adapt a USB port to a serial port because the computer did not have serial port. We constantly had to reload the software and if you had more than 2 screens open at once the computer would lockup.The Batteries were always going dead.
Went to Best Buy and ordered a new HP4200.The first thing I found out was that new computers don't come with flappy disk drives unless you order them with it in it. Next the only operating System that you can get is windows XP. Next all the ports are usb ports.
I oredered the unit with a floppy drive thinking that I would have to use my software in one of the USB ports.To my surprise I recieved the laptop with a Serial Port installed.Hooked it up and the unit and it works fine with the XP system. I am convinced that the only reason the serial was there is because I ordered the Floppy Drive. My advise is don't buy one off the shelf.
Hope this helps

REG

Its going to be a brand new unit I thought I could only get ME do you think I can still get Win. 2000 or XP on a new one.

Thanks for the input I did not know they were not standard w/ a floppy. Now I know I will ask them for XP with a floppy and a serial port.

Originally posted by Nojug
I have the Windows version of FAST now running on Windows 98 it works fine but I was thinking about getting a new laptop, a Dell, will I have any problem running the FAST on Windows ME if so is their any software available to make it compatible. Im just tired of f***ing with all of these old batteries that stop working right when you need them most and the only other option is to spend 1,200 just for a reliable laptop to run the car with. Someone please let me know their experinces good or bad with FAST and ME because Im ordering the thing monday.

You have a stable system, that works.
It needs batteries.
vs
Buying an unknown, and spending $1,200.

Drop the old one, and it's oh well.
Drop the new one, and it's $1,200, down the drain.
Spending $200 on batteries, and then $1,000 on the car makes more sense to me.

I've seen a ME that ran great, and some that aren't worth a darn.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 2500. It has XP on it, but I have serial ports on it. CCom (DOS) doesn't work, but CComWP works like a champ.

Back