FAST wideband o2 question

Can you give us some history of the sensor? Burning oil, head gasket, placed in wrong location? installed without wiring connected? houw much race gas? your EGT's how many miles on it? did you puke a turbo? etc? There has to be a reason for the failure

I am about to mount my WB02. Where on the DP is the best place? What would happen if you ran it before the turbo? The reason I'm asking is because my friend's 8 second turbo Mustang has it mounted before the turbo. I told him it's not supposed to go there and he said everyone said it wouldn't matter.

About 8"-10" down from the Turbo. They really aren't designed for very high exhaust temps that you may get closer than that. If you car doesn't produce EGTs higher than 1650 it probably be ok before the turbo.

Sully

Sully, I don't plan on going higher than 1650 EGT. Hell, I thought if you go any higher than 1650 you can expect to pick up parts off the track. What I'm seeing is that it DOSEN'T HAVE to be mounted after the turbo. Let see what everyone else says.

Originally posted by TURBO 6
Sully, I don't plan on going higher than 1650 EGT. Hell, I thought if you go any higher than 1650 you can expect to pick up parts off the track. What I'm seeing is that it DOSEN'T HAVE to be mounted after the turbo. Let see what everyone else says.

You want to be careful because if you get close in tempature the sensor has a tendancy to read richer that it actually is so then FAST starts taking fuel out which causes the temps to rise which causes the sensor to read richer which causes FAST to take more fuel out.......... until bad things happen.

I regularly see 1600-1650 with my EGT in the crossover just below where the driver side header attaches.

I ran mine in the stock o2 location for a weekend and it read considerably richer than it does in the DP.

S.

If the sensor sees over 1500 degrees it will fail , not right away but in time. If you want to risk it go ahead, its your wallet. But more the sensor is effected by backpressure in the system and the readings will be effected, and be off. Your friend with the mustang 's sensor there is on borrowed time, there is no warning when it fails, it will just stop working period.

We have had a few problems with the o2 sensor and after sending it back about 3 times we learned about placement of the sensor.Where you place it in the down pipe is critical. High temps kill 02 sensors. I moved mine down the pipe about 16 inchs away from the turbo but not everyone runs the high exhaust temps I do. We typically see temps around 1950 and with the 02 ten inches away from the turbo it goes bad quick.

REG

Same question, different vehicle with lower EGTs

I'm currently redoing my DP and had planned on moving my WBO2 sensor, so I am following this with much interest.

Currently, my WBO2 is probably 20"-22" from the turbo. I was planning on moving it closer to the turbo, as this seemed too far away to me. (This is on a 4 cyl Toyota, and I'm not seeing temps higher than 1250 in the DP, 4" after the turbo.)

I need to move it anyway because I'm adding a section of flex pipe where the O2 is currently mounted. I can either move it in front of the flex section or after it, and was planning on moving it closer to the turbo. Sounds like if I shoot for something in the 10"-12' range i should be OK. Does this sound right?

Sorry for the novel, but it's hard to get good info when you have an uncommon vehicle/application.

Jeff

Jeff given your exhaust temps at 4 inches from the turbo I would think that 10 inches would more than adequate.

REG

We have been using the same WBo2 in our shop 240sx for a while now. The EGTs have been high enough to crack the header and elbow, both 304 stainless. The sensor still works like a champ!! Not sure what the actual #s were on the EGT, but they were high!

Not sure of the WB O2 that the Fast uses, My understanding
is that it would be the NTK unit. I just got an LM-1 WB kit
from Innovate Motorsports. Uses a new Bosch WB that is
supposed to be swapable with the NTK. If so, I have seen it
as low as $29. Local Autozone wants $189 for the same part.
The Bosch is an LSU4.2. If this will work, try:

https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

$29.95 plus $6.95 shipping

One thing they mention that is a problem is BUNG temp. It can
degrade the O2 quickly. Hope this helps.