You can type here any text you want

Fay's 2 Watts Link

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
We run a Fays 2 Watts link on our Open Road Race 2+2. This allows the use of floppy bearing control arms to reduce binding and not worry about the rear tires rubbing the frame or fenders. The courses we run in Nebraska are like paved cowpaths and in some stretches the word paving is being generous.

With conventional bushings and high lateral Gs hitting a bump mid corner could launch the back of the car into the air, because it was bound and the suspension couldn't absorb the hit. With spherical bushings and the fays 2 there is much less drama.

Here is a video of the last corner of the SORC in 2004 when we Slid through the grass @100+ mph. Rear suspension was conventional arms/Herb Adams rear bar.

Here is the full course in 2014 with the Fays 2 rear and a Pro Touring rear bar Much less drama for the same speeds. Fast forward to Weed Wacking Corner above is at 13:30. The pavement is unchanged in 10 years, but by my arguing with my dad, you can tell its no big deal:

We ended up 2nd place in our Class (115 mph) to a 2007 Z06. We've won the 115 class at the SORC 3 times since switching to the Fays 2 rear setup and won the 140 mph class at the BBORR. For high speed handling on real roads I would not go back to a conventional rear set up and definitely would not use a stock style rear sway bar, which works great in a parking lot, but will kill you at speed.

Last edited:
Glad to see you back after such a long break. Are you going to be at the nats this weekend?

Glad to see you back after such a long break. Are you going to be at the nats this weekend?

No, I'll be pulling the fuel tank out of my TTA again, and swapping it out with a new one this time. Maybe next year. I have too many projects to be completed to go anywhere: LS1 front Brakes that are ready to go on my T-type, a Clutch job on a miata I just bought cheap and and LS1 swap on my other miata and fixing all the little issues on the TTA and then setting it up for AutoX. My weekends are pretty much booked for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the videos...I couldn't find them on YouTube when I looked the other night.

So I've limited my choices to the Detroit Speed Swivel-Link or the Spohn Del-Sphere rear control arms, both of which seem to be more weather resistant and quieter than conventional spherical bushings. I don't see an advantage in my application for the Spohn arms with Del-Sphere joints at each end. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Back