Finally bought a gn

cloneman315

well after searching for months looking for the right deal and the right car i was so sick of seeing guys wanting 15,000 for cars with over 100000 miles that needed paint etc or were just plain junk so i figured i woul djust put up a bit more cash and get a nice one,so today i brought it home a,86 gn with 65,000 mint interior, car was repainted a few years back looks really good had new header fillers front and rear,car has brand new tires and good looking factory wheels,The car has some mods i have to do some research on ,i know it does have the g80 but it has a 3 inch downpipe some chrome pipes under the hood,also has a dutweilier intercooler but it is in the factory location,also dual mufflers ,car has brand new powermaster brake motor etc,it also has the gnx gauges in it ,the car runs and drive perfect ,even the power ant and a/c work,it also has a chip which i know nothing about and i havent really got on the car because i dont have a wbo2 or scanmaster etc in it,the chip has a little black box with a rotor style switch goes from one to seven i think,anyone know what this is?i got on it once for a sec it seems like it is making about 18 to 20 psi real strong,but i dont know if this is a pump gas or race fuel setting or what timming is even in it so i am not going to beat on it till i find out.The guy i bought it off was super nice ,older guy in his 60s said he never really beat on it ,just that he wanted to get on it once in a while.I want to get everything checked out and malke sure it is all good,i talked with richard and im hoping i can get him to give it a look at.I feel like i am starting over like with the syclone years back ,know i have to learn everything about these cars,but i must say they look good in the garage together lol ,will post some pics soon,Ps any ideas of what i should check for first etc

Good luck with your new GN, that 1-7 position chip I think Caspers electronics sold years ago, don't know if they still sell them or not.

Way to go!! That money was burning a hole in u pocket.... Good luck with the car.

nah i just wanted one ,but the right nice one,have to do some research now and find out more stuff.The guy really couldnt tell me mutch as he didnt really know,it looks like it does have the casper chip in it,does anyone know if this is a race gas,pump gas chip or both?any feedback on them pros or cons?

I think it adjusts from mild to wild so to speak, also I think it some kind of valet mode or anti-theft if I'm not mistaken.

Brian, Good deal! Looks/sounds like a super nice car, can't wait to see it! Now your dilema, what are you bringing to AutoFair????LOL! Seriously though, we have a lot otf guys who can help you out with your questions on the car/chips, etc. Welcome to the GN world:biggrin:

Nice Car! The chip is probably labeled, so you'll need to pull an open the ECM to find the label on the chip. If it's a caspers chip then you should be able to contact them and get the info. They'll at least be able to tell you the injector size and all the settings.

i am gonna bring them both,dont know if i can drive them at the same time though lol,i am going to check the chip out this weekend,hopefully i can get back up to richards soon to have him check it all out .And im sure some of you guys can help me out.Im guessing my first step is going to get a wbo2 or scanmaster after i find out what chip inj etc are in it .

On my Caspers chip that i used to use,
First setting was a valet mode,
Next was a factory tune,
then 2 93 octane settings,
Then 2 100 octane settings,
and finally number 7 was something like a 110 octane race tune.

I ended up going away from that and just let turbotweak burn me a pump gas/alky chip and a race chip.
HTH

Geoff

i am going to pull the ecm down and see what one it is,car seems to run real decent but without a wbo2 i am not taking any chances,so is this chip kinda outdated?im guessing there are better ones out there,what ones seems to be the best

Where did you find that one? is that the one i told you about that was in the carolina trader by any chance? btw Turbo Tweak makes great chips for these cars. Looks like you found a good one!!!

yes that is the one,its real nice,i am going to try to figure out i think it has a stock turbo on it,but the inj might be different,it is in the garage right now so i am going to check it out in a day or so,a few of the vacum lines were lose and one was off so i am going to do that first,but i took it to wally world last night and man it drives so nice thing rips to,what on average do these cars run with a stock turbo with a chip etc?I also found out last night it appears it has some extra bolt on braces under the car and behind the back seat,also a seperate fan control switch

I am glad you found a good one!!!! I think that same car was in our local State paper here in SC as well. You will be amazed how well these cars run with a few bolt ons, make sure the fuel pump is hotwired and a adj fp reg is installed b-4 you beat on it too much. Car should run some mid 13's to high 12's if tuned properly with race gas and MT drag radials. (that would be with a good 60ft). Probably be a while b-4 it gives the cyclone any competition. just take your time and get a scan tool so you can monitor the vitals. Lot of good info on this board.

Probably be a while b-4 it gives the cyclone any competition.

That'll depend on his budget for the car, and who informs/mis-informs him for a combination... :rolleyes: :cool: :biggrin:

Congrats on the purchase!! I bet it's nice to open the garage door and see those two black beasts sitting there... Hmmm, which one to drive today!! :eek:

K.

The garage does look pretty kool,yeah it does have a afpr a adjustable one,not sure on the fuel pump,is the realy mod in the back or under the hood?,yeah i am pretty easy on things anyways but i def wont give it to her till i have a wbo2.You guys think i should keep that chip or get another one?

now is the turbo tweek chip have the switchable settings like the casper chip or is it just like a 93 chip and thats it?