Finally starting!! 85 regal 6.0l 4l80e turbo swap

chub406

Hey guys,
After getting this car 3 years ago from a member on here. Im finally starting the build. Its an 85 regal, 10pt cage, mini tubbed, fiberglass rear bumper and a 9 inch.Its getting a 6.0l/4l80e intercooled on E85. Looking at the t7875. Hoping for a 9 sec pass out of it with the boost turned up. I have most of the parts picked out. I'm up for any advise anyone has, that has done this before. A few quick pics.
a>
a>
2013-01-24_21-37-35_639_zps7883f72c.jpg

In the little garage. Its freezing out. Have to work around things. lol Someone cut the 8 inch cowl off the glasstech hood. No idea why. Its going to get a stock gn hood at some point.
2013-01-24_21-39-15_780_zps55aeccea.jpg

2013-01-24_21-36-10_328_zpsd98f8823.jpg

DSCF0028-1.jpg

Fiberglass decklid. Getting a steel one as well. This is for sale if anyone is looking for one.
A few parts showed up.
My "Summit racing" crossmember They didnt even try to hide that. lmao
2013-01-24_21-44-40_417_zps19745df4.jpg

2013-01-24_21-43-39_298_zps772e761b.jpg

After I got the filters. Relized holley gave me the wrong part numbers. Have to send one back and sell one. Lots of fun.
2013-01-23_19-37-54_540_zps18133247.jpg

Got intercooler from Jcuadra from here. Amazing seller.
2013-01-09_21-02-48_274_zpsd1c268f9.jpg

I just ordered new S.S. brake lines for the car. Was thinking of going with the ssbc proportioning valve. Anyone have any experience with it? More parts should be showing up shortly.

Sounds similar to what I'm doing only I'm using a bigger turbo and a bored .030 Lq4 and also plan on running 9's...or 8's if we make the power and can make it hook. Something I was advised to do, and did last night, is boxing the frame. ...just something you may want to keep in mind.

I'll keep an eye on this. Good luck with the project/swap.

Thanks! Oh Ya! Well I bet my cam is bigger! lol :p Yours is a big turbo! My hotside wouldnt be able to house one that big. Plus you got the t6. lol The mini tub job was from before I got it. It was not the greatest to say the least. "good enough" was the moto, it looks like. went out and worked on it a bit tonight. Put the fuel cell in. I cant decide if Im going to cut a hole in the floor, or prop up the cell. Im leaning towards proping itup. Then I dont have to build a skid plate
2013-01-25_21-19-15_124_zpscc74f80d.jpg

If anyone gets the chance to buy the JEGS push/pull battery kit. Pass on that. The threads on the rod were different than one of the bolts.
2013-01-25_21-19-23_616_zps81c88173.jpg

Thanks! Oh Ya! Well I bet my cam is bigger! lol :p Yours is a big turbo! My hotside wouldnt be able to house one that big. Plus you got the t6. lol The mini tub job was from before I got it. It was not the greatest to say the least. "good enough" was the moto, it looks like. went out and worked on it a bit tonight. Put the fuel cell in. I cant decide if Im going to cut a hole in the floor, or prop up the cell. Im leaning towards proping itup. Then I dont have to build a skid plate

If anyone gets the chance to buy the JEGS push/pull battery kit. Pass on that. The threads on the rod were different than one of the bolts.

Shit, I don't have any internal parts in my engine lol. I actually just got done tearing my motor apart in the past hour. What are the specs on your cam? When I get my rotating assembly and the motor back together, I'm going to consult my teacher and a few others on their recommendations then give Brian Tooley a call and have him grind it.
Yeah, the GT47 is a big'n.
Ah, the "good enough" thing. Yeah...that rarely works out super well.
Does it make a difference how you mount your cell when you go through tech?

yes. if it has a hole and dropped down through the trunk, It has to have some sort of protection around where the fitting come out of the cell. That way if you stand it up, it doesnt catch it and empty your cell on the track. Thats why Im raising mine up but I just tried putting it in tonight. The straps are not tight at all. Idk if a plastic cell swells that much, or if more of jegs shit products. lol Any idea how to get this thread moved to lsx tech? I message 2 mod's so far. No response. Anyone have any good pics of plastic cells mounted in the car?

i dont have the cam card. Its in the motor that I'm getting. 242 @.50 615 lift. 119 lsa. Idk who who ground it, just that it was custom.

A few things showed up today!! :eek:
05 6.0l. custom cam, ls7 lifters, hot rod pan, fbody acc. trunion kit, victor jr, edelbrock elbow, 80lb injectors, ect...
2013-02-01_21-29-53_127_zpsd13ac670.jpg

Hotside. This will be the 3rd members car that I know of, has been on. lol 4l80e
2013-02-01_21-30-00_282_zps7323ccd6.jpg

Got the transgo kit for it ready to go. Anyone thats done it. Any tips? I could only find an old video on it on youtube. Hiding behind the motor, is the ptc 3400 converter.

Coming together nicely. Are you going to relocate the coils or anything?
Is there a reason you went with the F-body accessories? I just ask because I have the accessories for an Ls from the GTO, truck, van, and F-body, and I've yet to decide which to use.

no. They just got shipped separate. Going to put them back on stock. With the holley wiring all in one. I dont want to change anything if I can help it. lol Thats what it has on it is why I'm using them. It was in a regal with the same mounts. So it should fit fine in mine. I know to switch from the intake to an ls1 style, you have to change the acc. Idk if thats the same for the victor jr.

Just a quick update.
Started putting my new SS brake line kit on. Got all but the driverside and rear brake lines done. Replaced the rubber line, calipers, and pads on the passanger side. Also got my 40.00 ebay special, aluminum prop valve. I was worried I was spending money that I didn't need to. Then after the driverside line broke off with out me even wrenching on it. I knew I made the right choice. lol
2013-02-05_23-43-29_440_zpsdd23cca0.jpg

Nice lines. Ive give them a good B+ so far on bolting on as a kit.

2013-02-10_22-23-57_982_zps721d75eb.jpg

Where does the rubber line from the front steam ports go?? Its in my way. Do I need that line or can I block it off?

2013-02-10_22-23-57_982_zps721d75eb.jpg

Where does the rubber line from the front steam ports go?? Its in my way. Do I need that line or can I block it off?
I ran mine to the top of the wp hsg. Drilled the hsg w/ 1/8" npt thread, put a hose barb fitting in it.
Some guys run them to the top of the dr side rad tank, some down to the top of the stat hsg area, on the pump.
I'd not block it off... It helps eliminate hot spots..

ok. do you have a pic of your Chuck? i would leave the 2 on the heads. Just really like to get that out of my way so my Reg will fit on the rail no problem. I cant see where that rubber line originally went. Any idea?

Been a while since I updated this. Got the dominator mounted. Put in on the backside of the heater delete panel.
20160519_012526_zpsokmtxve1.jpg

Ended up having to pull the new plastic cell and put in an aluminum one. Once I drilled it for -12 I could not get it to seal. I will never got with plastic again. lol
Car fired right up. Doesnt want to start once its warm though. I have done 0 tuning though. Wanted to make sure the motor was good before anything.
Plus it really put a pep in my step to get the rest of the car done. I picked up an s480 ETR HO.
20150719_123213_zpspjhy8meg.jpg

That made it so I pulled the whole hotside off and built my own new one. The old one was for a t4 and no way would fit the s480. The original hotside is for sale.
I went with truck manifolds and 2.25 mild steel tubing. I put the drivers side manifold on like stock and went under the tranny to the passenger side. I put on 2 38mm tial wastegates. Going with a co2 setup using the Holley boost control.
20160519_012320_zpsowcnflp2.jpg

20160519_012336_zps2l6upvz7.jpg

20160519_012629_zpsqwurqvsc.jpg

Still got a long ways to go. Im pulling the 9inch and ordered a new one from quick performance with 35 spline axles, 3.25 gears, disc brakes, and all the aftermarket goodies. By the time I put everything in the 9inch that was in it. Its cheaper to pull it, sell it and get the new one. Plus I'm going to re notch the frame and Ive got 295/65/15's on it right now. Got rims with an inch deeper offset.
Going to get the intercooler on and get the cold side done here soon. Done so much its hard to remember everything. lol

2 quik ?'s
How are you going to clear the tire during a left turn, w/ the turbine outlet where it is?
Is the engine solid mounted? The reason I ask is, it appears the turbo support sits on the top of the frame.

Hey Chuck! Been a long time. lol
Yes it is solid mounted. Yes the turbo mount is welded to the frame. Then I used the monkey fab flange bolted to the mount. I have plenty of room for the tire it looks like. This is with it cranked all the way to the left.
20160519_115739_zpsigdfw0us.jpg

I have the trz double adjustable up and single adjustable lowers. That plate that you connect the uppers to looks like a nice piece.