You can type here any text you want

First Mods - Keeping it Simple

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bodybag

GNX #451
I just picked up an ’87 GNX and want to do some light mods, mainly exhaust and ECU program. What recommendations do you have? Can the Cat Conv. be removed without throwing any Check Engine Light, or would that have to be programmed through the chip? I really don’t want to get crazy on this, just want to keep it simple and pick-up a few HP.

yes you can remove the cat without cel. I'd check to see if it has an aftermarket chip in it already. If not check out turbo tweak. He can give you a safe tune and give you some hp.

Congrats on the purchase! Have fun with her!

I just picked up an ’87 GNX and want to do some light mods, mainly exhaust and ECU program. What recommendations do you have? Can the Cat Conv. be removed without throwing any Check Engine Light, or would that have to be programmed through the chip? I really don’t want to get crazy on this, just want to keep it simple and pick-up a few HP.

I'll trade ya two GN's for that 70 Z28!!

70 and a half... Strike year wasnt it? or was 71 the strike year hence the 70 and a half?

My dream Camaro

remove cat...turbotweak.com for the chip and alkycontrol...you'll have some fun then

dont forget a scanmaster at the very least

Thanks for the info guys. Ordered my TT Street Chip this evening, will get the exhaust going first of next week. I was going to leave the car stock, but that idea didn't last long.

Yeah the 70 "and a half" Z is one of my favorites of all. It's a 44k original mile car that still has the OG paint, interior and everything yet it's still so nice that everyone thinks it's been restored.

mcasteel2112 - They call it a 70 1/2 because the model came out late. First cars didn't start getting delivered until around February of 1970. Not sure if it was strike related or just because of the new model.

TurboDave - I'm in love with this car, you'd need more than 2 GN's to persuade me :D

TurboDave - I'm in love with this car, you'd need more than 2 GN's to persuade me :D

RATS!!!! The 70.5 Z has been a dream of mine all my adult life.

How 'bout I throw in a one owner, all original perfect 84 Z28 HO?

RATS!!!! The 70.5 Z has been a dream of mine all my adult life.

How 'bout I throw in a one owner, all original perfect 84 Z28 HO?

I'll give ya my oldest...still in College but just a minor formality

70 1/2 Camaros and 71 Camaros are virtually identical with a difference of seats for the 70 that were the same as '69s... The emblem was chrome with a black painted "C" on the 70's..

Sound correct?

70 1/2 Camaros and 71 Camaros are virtually identical with a difference of seats for the 70 that were the same as '69s... The emblem was chrome with a black painted "C" on the 70's..

Sound correct?

You're partially right, '70 was the only 2nd Gen Camaro to have a Low-Back bucket seat, but it wasn't exactly like the '69 cars were. It was slightly wider and thicker because the 2nd Gen cars were bigger inside, as well as being longer, wider and lower overall.

'70 was the only year that did use a chrome "C" on the header panel, and it was also the only year that had a "Camaro by Chevrolet" emblem on the trunk lid.

Here's 3 other interesting things that separate '70 from the later cars:

'70 was the last year that GM used the 12 bolt rear-end in any performance models. Everything '71 and later got the 10 bolt 8.5" corporate rear-end.

'70 Camaro's side markers did NOT blink with the signal lights, '71 and later did.

'70 was the last year that Chevrolet used words on the control knobs in the interior, '71 and later used international symbols.

'70 was the last year that GM used the 12 bolt rear-end in any performance models. Everything '71 and later got the 10 bolt 8.5" corporate rear-end.

Is that for sure? My 72 Z28 (still regret getting rid of it) had a 12 bolt in it.

Now, I must add that I bought that one used, and didn't verify the 3rd member authenticity.
It was just too much of an animal to drive daily as I was. Especially the M22 "rock crusher" tranny!

My 73 Z28 did come new with the 10 bolt however.

Poor Bodybag, He's gonna be like " Hey my Buicks runnin like crap"
Dave and I will be like "um kick it" OK back to that Camaro!

Growing up, Dad had Trans ams, F400 and a SD455 but then I was only 7 or so yrs old...really had no clue

I have a 71 Z, in body shop, under going total renovation, Detroit speed rear deep tube kit, Fatman fab front clip w/ rack and pinion steering, coil overs, wilwood disk, etc, etc, etc. going to have a lil old v-6 with 200r4 behind it. I'm getting everthing pre assembled and completing some minor fabwork for the intercooler mounting, transcooler,and all the additional mounting points so I can take it all back apart and send everything out to be powder coated.
I just ordered a 200r4 from Brian with a trans brake, never had one of those before, should dd to the fun factor. I love the 70-73 camaro's.:cool:

You lucky buzzard congrats on the X
Pull the turbo and put it up its rarer than rare!
Replace it with equiv size. gt3255e is a good turbo
Fuel pump and hotwire
Scanmaster
Air filter cone
put a test pipe in place of the cat or gut out a cat factory housing,
Turbo tweak chip
That should give you quite a bit

Good luck

70 and a half... Strike year wasnt it? or was 71 the strike year hence the 70 and a half?

Actually I believe it was 1972 when the strike kicked off....because that year had the least amount of new Camaros built. Also the same year the new A body was supposed to have come out but was postponed until 1973.

They call it a 70 1/2 because the model came out late. First cars didn't start getting delivered until around February of 1970. Not sure if it was strike related or just because of the new model.

Yep, I read up until like late 1969 they were still producing '69 Camaros instead of the new '70 models that would have normally started coming out in the fall of '69.

Congrats

you choice a very nice looking car, me myself would keep it stock i think their fast already,also i'll keep the value of your car up.:cool:

very impressive collection of different types of cars. to me they are the norm,not option wise but body and platform.the one i like is the "goes like hell somemore" omni. also the k5 a friend had, lowered way too much and it was a light blue with the removable top.

Back