First runs with my twin turbo's

turbofabricator

I finally got to run the Alcoholic Twins this week-end. The best pass was 11.4 @125. The car was real lazy making boost as my best 60 ft time was 1.97 sec. The A/F ratio was 10.2 all day and the timing was 24*. I left the tune-up fat and just made sure all the stuff worked. All runs were made with 19-20 lbs of boost using C-16 fuel and some methanol. The alcohol slowed the car down (but at 10.2:1 it better!) I am very pleased with the mph at the given tune-up and a FULL weight car (PLUS one turbo and one intercooler, and one throttle body, and lots of stainless tubing ;) ) and only 19-20 psi boost. I do not have a roll bar in the car, so I had to try and keep it slower than 11.50. They let me slide on the 11.4 pass.
The brakes held what ever I put to them on the line, and stopped the car well at 125+. Now it's time to lean it out and put some timing to it AND work on MY reaction times :) I'll install the roll bar soon (it's on the way) and get the car tuned for a better 60 ft. time. There was NO surging as some suggested might happen with the header design, and I ran the car through the muffler. I feel there is another 100+ hp left in the tune up and boost increase. I might make it to the track this friday for a real tune session. I'll keep you posted on the progress

Attachments

• new downpipe 037.jpg
    new downpipe 037.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 428
  • brake system 056.jpg
    brake system 056.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 393
  • BOP race 9-23-06.jpg
    BOP race 9-23-06.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 402
Wow, I haven't seen pics of that setup in a while, good to see it complete. Fantastic job on the fabrication! Great mph too.

Can't blame ya for going the safe route the first time out, still runs a great time on low boost and a fat tune. ;)

Great job, when you going back to the track??

I'll try and make it to the track this Friday, weather and time permitting. I should have a roll cage from Jeg's Monday/Tuesday, and "might" have time to install it. I have to get harness/window net too. I went the cage route, as I might install big power in it if I decide to keep it. I can just install the main hoop and gamble that the track doesn't measure the bar. I'm in a quagmire as to which way I want to go. Going 8's with a V6 is WAY too much money and hard to find the right parts. I have a four cam/valve 5.4 Ford that I have been setting up for turbocharging. I may decide to go the Chev V8 route in the T-Type. I know alot of guys think that is stupid, but maybe they have more money to work with than I do.( I am accepting sponsorship money :tongue: )
I'll also be helping a friend build a mid 7 sec Ford Lighting :eek: over the winter, so time maybe hard to come by.

turbofabricator said:
I'll try and make it to the track this Friday, weather and time permitting. I should have a roll cage from Jeg's Monday/Tuesday, and "might" have time to install it. I have to get harness/window net too. I went the cage route, as I might install big power in it if I decide to keep it. I can just install the main hoop and gamble that the track doesn't measure the bar. I'm in a quagmire as to which way I want to go. Going 8's with a V6 is WAY too much money and hard to find the right parts. I have a four cam/valve 5.4 Ford that I have been setting up for turbocharging. I may decide to go the Chev V8 route in the T-Type. I know alot of guys think that is stupid, but maybe they have more money to work with than I do.( I am accepting sponsorship money :tongue: )
I'll also be helping a friend build a mid 7 sec Ford Lighting :eek: over the winter, so time maybe hard to come by.

Give em hell brotha. That is a cool setup, plus I understand the v8 thing. Thats why my TR is for sale.

turbofabricator said:
I may decide to go the Chev V8 route in the T-Type. I know alot of guys think that is stupid, but maybe they have more money to work with than I do

You seem to be an "outside of the box" thinker/guy, I say go for the V8 and screw those who don't like it. :D

Jiminy crickets, please keep us posted on how it runs...

That just 2 stock turbos, extra t-body and ic?

What is done to the engine?

Congrats man, im very impressed!

BW

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Jiminy crickets, please keep us posted on how it runs...

That just 2 stock turbos, extra t-body and ic?

What is done to the engine?

Congrats man, im very impressed!

BW

I have a RJC girdle on a 109 block with stock crank/rods and TRW forged pistons with light weight pins. I ported a set of 8445 heads and run a 215/220 hyd. roller cam with 1.60:1 roller rockers. Stock exhaust manifolds with a section of another header added to the front of the passenger side to feed the second turbo. I run a "Pro-Gate" (Turbosmart) 48mm wastegate in the cross-over tube. I have (6) .014" nitrous fuel nozzles for methanol under the hand fabricated plenum. I used two stock throttle bodies that were cut down and welded the shafts together. I run an 'Alky Control' pump and controller for the alky system, with a NOS alcohol/nitro compatible fuel valve. (so it doesn't suck alcohol through the nozzles under vacuum conditions) I ditched the MAF sensor in favor of the MaftPro box, and Extender Pro chip, by Bob Bailey. The turbo's are stock GN turbos. The down pipe is 2.5" for the first bend then into a single 3" to a single Magnaflow dual pass 2.5" muffler, with dual tail pipes exiting the pass. quarter panel. The lower manifold is a stocker that I ported. All the tubing for the intercooler is 321 stainless steel and the intercooler is two stock cores that are welded together with a common center. They are mounted in front of the radiator, just behind the bumper. They are too wide to mount any higher. I also run 60 lb/hr Motron injectors fed by a Walbro 340 pump that is hot wired. The brakes are S-10 manual master cylinder, S-10 rear wheel cylinders, Wilwood adjustable porportioning valve, TCI Roll Control, and Wilwood 4 piston front discs. I use autometer gauges, and LM-1 wide band O2 to keep an eye on what's going on. There is an Art Carr 3600 N/L in a Dave Splett built 200-4R (Trans Service in Lynnwood Wa. (425)-774-4966) The Optima battery is in the trunk in the spare tire well with a bead rolled cover over it, and a Moroso disconect switch with field interupt terminals (so it shuts the engine off when activated) There are a million little things that I have done to the car that I couldn't begin to put in print with out laying under the car and thinking about everything. I'll be installing a roll cage as soon as it arrives, and the hammered body will get pampered this winter, and maybe I will enter it in a car show next spring. I need to step the wastegate spring tension up and get 28-30 psi boost outta this thing and see if there is a 130+ mph in it. If you would like to see pictures of anything in particular, let me know and I'll post them for you. :)

turbofabricator said:
I ditched the MAF sensor in favor of the MaftPro box, and Extender Pro chip, by Bob Bailey. I need to step the wastegate spring tension up and get 28-30 psi boost outta this thing and see if there is a 130+ mph in it.

Get a chance to play with the boost control on the MAF PRO box? I just got mine working with a Tial 38mm external gate. It's pretty neat. ;)

Not yet, I have been bustin' my hump just trying to get it to run and not leak oil, stop, not crash, replace bushings, fab EVERYTHING.............and on and on. I have to get into the Maf Pro and wire in the boost controller and re-plumb that. I also have to hook up the wide band O2 to help with the tune-up at WOT. Now the brain work begins. The last month has been the knuckle draggin' part.......cutting, welding, grinding, bending, bolting (then UN-bolting it and doing it over ;) )

turbofabricator said:
Not yet, I have been bustin' my hump just trying to get it to run and not leak oil, stop, not crash, replace bushings, fab EVERYTHING.............and on and on. I have to get into the Maf Pro and wire in the boost controller and re-plumb that. I also have to hook up the wide band O2 to help with the tune-up at WOT. Now the brain work begins. The last month has been the knuckle draggin' part.......cutting, welding, grinding, bending, bolting (then UN-bolting it and doing it over ;) )

Very understandable. I'm sure your more than qualified, but if you need it, there is a lot of into/tech help over at www.fullthrottletech.com. :cool:

WoW

turbofabricator said:
I have a RJC girdle on a 109 block with stock crank/rods and TRW forged pistons with light weight pins. I ported a set of 8445 heads and run a 215/220 hyd. roller cam with 1.60:1 roller rockers. Stock exhaust manifolds with a section of another header added to the front of the passenger side to feed the second turbo. I run a "Pro-Gate" (Turbosmart) 48mm wastegate in the cross-over tube. I have (6) .014" nitrous fuel nozzles for methanol under the hand fabricated plenum. I used two stock throttle bodies that were cut down and welded the shafts together. I run an 'Alky Control' pump and controller for the alky system, with a NOS alcohol/nitro compatible fuel valve. (so it doesn't suck alcohol through the nozzles under vacuum conditions) I ditched the MAF sensor in favor of the MaftPro box, and Extender Pro chip, by Bob Bailey. The turbo's are stock GN turbos. The down pipe is 2.5" for the first bend then into a single 3" to a single Magnaflow dual pass 2.5" muffler, with dual tail pipes exiting the pass. quarter panel. The lower manifold is a stocker that I ported. All the tubing for the intercooler is 321 stainless steel and the intercooler is two stock cores that are welded together with a common center. They are mounted in front of the radiator, just behind the bumper. They are too wide to mount any higher. I also run 60 lb/hr Motron injectors fed by a Walbro 340 pump that is hot wired. The brakes are S-10 manual master cylinder, S-10 rear wheel cylinders, Wilwood adjustable porportioning valve, TCI Roll Control, and Wilwood 4 piston front discs. I use autometer gauges, and LM-1 wide band O2 to keep an eye on what's going on. There is an Art Carr 3600 N/L in a Dave Splett built 200-4R (Trans Service in Lynnwood Wa. (425)-774-4966) The Optima battery is in the trunk in the spare tire well with a bead rolled cover over it, and a Moroso disconect switch with field interupt terminals (so it shuts the engine off when activated) There are a million little things that I have done to the car that I couldn't begin to put in print with out laying under the car and thinking about everything. I'll be installing a roll cage as soon as it arrives, and the hammered body will get pampered this winter, and maybe I will enter it in a car show next spring. I need to step the wastegate spring tension up and get 28-30 psi boost outta this thing and see if there is a 130+ mph in it. If you would like to see pictures of anything in particular, let me know and I'll post them for you. :)

:eek:

Man are you like a NUCLEAR PHYSICIST MECHANICAL ENGINEER dude that knows his math or what... :eek: I have a hard time remembering how many qt's of oil my RJC oil pan takes :rolleyes: ... Good work by the way..

Great job.. 125 first time out is neat :)

Keep at it and lean her out.. I would target 10.8-11.0 and see how it does.

Razor said:

With C-16 I'll target 11.2 and work my way to 11.6. When I get the boost to come on earlier, and get the boost to over 25 psi, then I can start playin' with the methanol. It'll be hard to get the tune-up were I want it with out a chasis dyno session. I'll have to get my son to start driving car at the track, HE can multi-task! I'm too old to try and watch the track at 130+ AND watch the boost gauge, LM-1, EGT, Fuel pressure, oil pressure..............He's run motorcycles at over 160 in the 1/4 while talking to his girlfriend on the cell phone and changing songs on his I-Pod ;) (Just don't ask him what happens when you sit on the handle bars on the freeway :mad: )(let's just say he's VERY lucky to be breathing! or not eating through a plastic hose)

Razor said:

I forgot to say THANKS for the great pump and controller. I do look forward to working on the tune-up with methanol. I will stay with C-16 for now and find the potential of the twin stock turbos, ported irons, stock block and twin TB.s BEFORE is start with the dual fuel tune-up. At $12.50/gal for C-16, I'll really like to work on the methanol tuning. NHRA is also rummored to require balistic blankets for intercoolers SOON! It may only be required for cars with I/C in the pass. compartment, but if Simpson makes them...........We ALL will have to run them ;) (like the 2 year seat belt rule :mad: ) I'm all for safety, but COME ON! GET REAL! Circle track guys NEED thier seat belts 'cause they crash every tine they drive the car, and they only visually inspect the belts!

turbofabricator said:
I'm too old to try and watch the track at 130+ AND watch the boost gauge, LM-1, EGT, Fuel pressure, oil pressure..............

With the MAF PRO, you don't need to watch some of those. It logs boost, WB02, EGT. :cool: