Flaring shifts when warm, shifts normal when cold...

kenny

No turbo, no care.
130k mile stock transmission, shifts great for the first 5-10min of driving the car. Once the transmission warms up it will flare the 1-2 shift at partial throttle and at WOT.

The question is, should I even bother doing anything with it or just take it up to Vince Janis?

I'm leaning towards taking it to Vince since it's stock, but if it is something simple I can fix to make a few passes this weekend I'd like to be able to do that...

I should note that it has a new filter, fluid (Dextron III, quart over full) and a new TCC solenoid.

mine did the same thing. The band/pin had pulled itself out. I was having to lift to get it to hit second then stand back on the throttle. Doesn't sound like yours is quite there yet. You might be able to get a few more passes out of it.

I just got mine back from Lonnie and am putting it in tonight. I hope to hit trails or MCIR this weekend also.

I was planning on hitting MCIR on Friday. Though, my Powerlogger won't be here until next week so that kind of sucks. I might just throw it on my friends dyno sometime during the week to make sure the A/F is solid... don't even have a boost gauge in the car at the moment. :eek:

Do you have it filled over to the the back and forth bends on the dipstick?
Cavitation can cause flare but if its only the 2-3 and that many miles its probably the frictions getting tired.
How did the fluid look when you changed it last? i.e.crud pieces in the pan dark fluid?

Yeah, it's up to the back and forth bends. The fluid didn't look TOO horrible, but it did have shavings in the bottom of the pan. Didn't smell burnt or anything cool like that.

The 2-3 shift isn't a problem, it's the 1-2 it flares on.

So the back and forth bends, does that equal a quart over where the regular "full" line is on the dipstick? I think that's what did my tranny in the first time, not enough fluid:mad:

Kenny,

Check the pressures. Sounds like the pump is getting loose. As the fluid warms up and thins out any excessive clearence in the pump will cause your pressures to drop off.

I don't have any way of testing pressure. I'm assuming you mean the pump is getting loose internally? How much is a new one?

I was saying that the pump may be worn causing excessive clearences inside it. CK is showing $240 for a fresh pump with all high performance mods already done.

I picked up a pressure gage set locally a while back for around $50. Prob can be had for less online. If you hook up a gage and see that the hot pressures are staying up near that same as when the trans is cold. It would indicate that it's not the pump, or at least not a hydraulic problem.

I think I'm just going to call Vince tomorrow. I don't really want to put a pump in it with stock bands/clutches and everything else. Might as well do it all at once.

It does make a faint hydraulic noise at idle (when it warms up), so you're probably correct about it being the pump.

I think I'm just going to call Vince tomorrow. I don't really want to put a pump in it with stock bands/clutches and everything else. Might as well do it all at once.

It does make a faint hydraulic noise at idle (when it warms up), so you're probably correct about it being the pump.

At 130k, you have gotten the best from her!
Call Vince and get the old girl freshened.:D

Well, the noise was a little worse than just the front pump. The thrust bearing has had it and the crank has some movement. :eek:

The car isn't that nice. I bought it since it was all of 6 miles from my house and real cheap. The original plan was to use it as a donor for an El Camino, but some **** was talked between me and a buddy about his Evo being fast so I was going to wear him out with it before gutting it.

This kinda kills that idea, so it's back to using it as a donor for the El Camino project - which works out well, I had an El Camino in high school that I sold and the guy I sold it to is now selling it. He said he'd sell it to me for a price I can't turn down, so as long as it's still in the same shape as it was when I sold it (or close) the project will be rolling shortly. I'm not sure how crazy I want to go with the motor, I'll probably decide once I tear into the bottom end and see how much is hurt.

I told Vince to go ahead and build the transmission and he's selling me a D5 to go with it (one in the car currently has issues). Since I'm going to be out of town next weekend I told him to take his time since I'm sure there are much nicer and more important cars he needs to take care of.

How's that for a damage report? :biggrin:

... and this is the El Camino,
16jgas4.jpg

Checking it out on Sunday, as long as I'm not too hung over from college football and UFC. :biggrin:

Oh - and the El Camino currently has a 355/700R4 combo.

Ouch man :eek:

I was hoping you could confirm of deny that the pump was crapping out. Was not expecting the whole motor to be trashed. Oh well just another excuse to build it bigger, badder, better. :biggrin:

Well, I'm pretty sure the pump was dead too if it makes you feel better. :biggrin:

I can get the motor back together pretty easy. I'm not sure how crazy I'm going to go with it, I guess it depends on how bad it is when I pull it apart and how much money I feel like spending. I'll probably just do a mostly stock rebuild with a girdle for now.