Floor Jack

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
My floor jack has seen better days, so its going to the scrap yard. Could anyone recommend a good floor jack they have used and really liked? I have hated my jack since day one, but it was a Christmas gift like 15 years ago.

Of the new, high quality, jacks Hein Warner might be the best value. They are made in the usa and have a great track record. There is another brand of jack that were still being made in the US as of a few years ago (I think milwaukee). I can’t remember the name right now but if someone else mentions the name then I'll remember.

If you ever can find a used Scott Atwater (Also offered as a Marquette) jack at a garage sale or auction, I highly recommend them. They are cast iron beasts and seem to be bullet-proof. I think they quit making them in the 40s or early 50s, but even the ones that are really rough looking seem to always work. They have a very uniquely and well thought out hydraulic system.

As far as the imported jacks go, I think there is a lot of junk out there as you have experienced. I’d rather have a rebuilt US made jack then anything imported, at least from Asia. Be prepared to pay for quality.

A good jack made is the USA is not going to be cheap. I think there is only two made in the USA. I have used a Cornwell Blue Monster for about 12 years .Its made over seas .I did replace the pump once about 5 years ago. The jack Harbor freight is selling looks the same for under a 100 bucks.I would not buy a jack for under $100. Hein Werner is the best out there but be prepared, I think the cheapest is about $500.00. Just remember to always use jack stands. My dumb ass was under a car with a Craftsman jack 20 years ago with no stands and the car started creeping down on me I was pinned except for my legs which I was using to pump the jack so I could get out. I cut that jack up with a torch.

I think I figured ot the other brand I was thinking about, it is called milwaukee hydraulics (Not associated with the electric tool brand). I believe they were still being made in the usa the last time I checked, about 4 years ago. It looks like they are still us made, but you might want to 2x check.

I have this one I think...
http://www.milwaukeejack.com/model20.pdf
and it is built like a tank. Really heavy jack.

bryesh,

Thanks for word on the Hein Werner jack. As I just tinker, I'd never heard them. I've never trusted the $150 jacks I've previously purchased and jam a stand under the car as quickly as possible. Still will use them (of course) with a better jack, but will have more piece of mind. Did a little searching and found a 2 ton for $340, think I'll go ahead and drill down.

Regards,
John

You're welcome, I think you'll be happy, that's a good price for a quality piece. Even so, you are wise to always use jack stands like you do. I actually recently bought some Hein Werner stands that are made in the US as well, they are nice and not too much more expensive than imported ones.

Nice to hear it when people make an effort to support American manufacturing!

Thanks for the responses guys. I hinted to the wife about a fathers day gift. We'll see if that works...lol