You can type here any text you want

Fram HP2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ek02

Has anyone had problems using a Fram HP2 on an RJC Biggie oil filter adapter? I know all about regular Fram filters being junk these days, and that Wix seems to be the best filter going, but the last WIX I had took 3-4 seconds to get oil pressure cold. I put on a Purolator I had on the shelf and then it took 2 seconds to get pressure. I just changed the oil and put a HP2 on it and it gets oil pressure in less than 1 second. It appears the HP2 still has cardbored ends, but there is a perforated steel tube down the center, and the filter material is clamped at the seam with metal. The bypass opens at 22 PSI and has a screen on it. My oil pressure came up 4 PSI at idle, and 8 PSI at 5,000 RPM. That could be because the filter media lets more oil through and filters less, or because the filter is much larger than the WIX. I can't find anything bad about the HP series of filters. I used them on Fords for years. Opinions?

Low-restriction racing media designed for high oil flow

From what I have learned, there are two common types of filter media. The standard is cellulose (paper). The other is fiberglass like in the Mobil 1 and K&N filters. Fiberglass has more consistent poor size, so they flow better and trap more dirt.

Did the Wix filter have an anti-drain back valve? Even if it did, sometimes they don't work. Some people check them by blowing into the center hole before installing them.

Interesting video. No mention of the HP series though. I believe I read that the HP series is not a good filter for daily street driving, unless you change your oil very often. I cut the Wix apart to check for metal, and it did have a drain back valve. Could have been a defective filter. I still have 2 more to use, but I have been wanting to try the HP2. I have used the regular Fram filters for years on all my vehicles with no problems, but after seeing some collapsed filters on the internet, I am switching to NAPA/Wix for the daily drivers in my family. The increased oil pressure on the HP shows that it has less restriction, but it could also mean that it does not filter as well as a conventional filter.

I have used the regular Fram filters for years on all my vehicles with no problems, but after seeing some collapsed filters on the internet, .

This is mine...T thought I would use one for break-in and replace with a Wix. ( Never again) This happened 1.5 miles from my house, I hit the throttle to about 10-12 psi twice to seat the rings...next I hear a pop and oil psi is going down. I have a turbo Saver so my oil filter is under the passenger headlight area. The filter collapsed internally and the O ring was pushed out, oiled down the entire right side of my car and most of the undercarriage. Had this happened on the track it could have been disastrous !!

IMAG0350crop.jpg
IMAG0358crop.jpg

Was that a standard Fram or an HP series? Is your oil pump by-pass plugged? Very high pressure cold will do that. That would have cost you an engine for sure at the track.

The Hp series worked well for me for quite a while, then got a batch with bad check valves. Back to AC Delco, no more problems since.

I run a K&P engineering oil filter and I take it apart and inspect, clean and reinstall. As often as I change the oil it's worth it. Got it from Nick Micale something to think about.

Was that a standard Fram or an HP series? Is your oil pump by-pass plugged? Very high pressure cold will do that. That would have cost you an engine for sure at the track.
It was a standard Fram, was just for break-in....engine was up to temp

Bryan

I believe the K&P is the way to go. The price is not bad to protect $7500.00 worth of parts and machine work. The only down side is there is no anti drain back valve, but then it may not be needed if the filter flows so quickly that it gets pressure right away.

I should add that I have the turbo saver so the drainback isnt really a big deal since the sealing plane of the filter is horizontal.

I found that NAPA lists the Baldwin B9, and it is available. It is the same size as the HP2, and looks really well made on some videos I saw where they were cut apart. Has anyone used one on the Biggie adapter? The B39 will also work but it is shorter.

I went back to the Wix/NAPA Gold filter. I cut apart the HP2 and a Wix Racing filter made for a Chevy. I would guess the filter element is similar to the standard Wix. The HP has the cardboard end plates, but what really bothers me is the amount and closeness of the pleats. They look like they are folding over each other. The bypass with a screen is nice, but how much oil is being bypassed instead of being filtered? Fram would have a winner if they used an element like Wix uses with steel end plates. I am no engineer, but to me the HP2 could be trouble. I ran it for a while with no problem, but I feel better with a Wix on there.

P3170001.JPGP3170002.JPGP3170003.JPG

Back