You can type here any text you want

frame bent underneath from jacking

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

G NASTY

whats the best way to straighten? just for the look of it, its not affecting anything else but iam sending it out to get blasted and coated and want it to look like new.. just a hammer? any other creative ideas? should i heat it up?

whats the best way to straighten? just for the look of it, its not affecting anything else but iam sending it out to get blasted and coated and want it to look like new.. just a hammer? any other creative ideas? should i heat it up?

On a frame rack, it would be somewhat painless...Perhaps a small bottleneck jack or an old chopped down bumper jack turned upside down wouls work. Good luck..I'm curious to here what you come up with.

GC

dont use heat on a frame

depends on how bad its crushed
the frame rails arent tough and they bend really easily , ive used a large adjustable slipped over the frame and just bend it back down ,slip joint pliers work too

Same idea as above, but with a c-clamp. Just tighten the c-clamp on the part you want to bend, and maybe use a pipe for more leverage.

???Why not??? :confused: Heat will not hurt the frame at all. It may not be nesassary, but it won't hurt it.

frames are built with mild steel to flex and bend with the road and heating tempers steel and makes it harder wwhich reduces its ability to flex and more likely to crack

frames are built with mild steel to flex and bend with the road and heating tempers steel and makes it harder wwhich reduces its ability to flex and more likely to crack

What you say is true, however, we are not talking a significant amount of heat to straighten a frame. Tempering steel would take alot more heat. No different than welding on the frame other than it would be less heat. Also depends where you are heating...ie: high or low stress point. Either way would work in this application. Just my .02

Also have fuel lines running along inside the frame rail so why heat it when you don't need to...as stated use a C-clamp or big adjustable wrench...it bends very easily...

once you see how easy it bends you'll wonder how gm called it a full frame , its more like a front and rear frame joined by a twizzler

If you only heat it just to the piont of a dark chery red (about 1300 deg.)then bend it and let it cool slowly on its own it will keep the strangth that it had. if you try to cool to fast it will lose the strangth and become brittle and the you have problems.

I just got done replacing the upper body bushings at the body shop. He has a hydraulic tool to separate the body from the frame. Kind of like a scissors that opens up. Well, the body didn't want to separate from the frame without a lot of persuasion. I couldn't believe how easy it was to bend the frame! Finally there was a loud bang and the body broke free. The bushings were so deteriorated that the body bonded with the frame.

Back