You can type here any text you want

frame notching info

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EVIL87

planning on notching my frame tommorrow.i noticed the wheel well follows the frame,if i notch the frame what happens to the wheel well? im not a big fan of hammers.what the cleanest solution?

sorry I can answer,

but I'm waiting to hear the suggestions.
typically you cut and space in the inner fender well,

A frame notch is exactly that. It has nothing to do w/ the wheel well.
The notch is usually done so the outer frame face is flush w/ the wheel well.
I split the frame at the weld joint, clean everything up, and re-install the outer face into the inner 1/2. I make filler plates for the ends.
I support the rear of the frame B4 I do any cutting, to prevent sagging.
Some guys plate the inside of the frame prior to doing the mod. My car had a roll bar in it, so it was stiff enuf to begin with.
If you need more inside clearance, it's time for wheel tubs, possible suspension mods, etc.
I used 8.5" wheels w/ 4.5" BS, and 10.5 x 28 tires.

Didn't Otto do that and the car buckled since it was weakend from the notch..

before i took the body off, the difference from the frame to the wheel well was only about 1/2".the problem i seen was the rear kick out of the frame that s where most of the rubbing happens. i dont think i really need the notch. i already run a 28 x 11.5 slick and was getting 1.53 60 foots on stock suspension.what i am going to do is weld reinforcements around all the holes that hold the rear arms at the chassis and the ones that hold the body bushings.its seems that the cahssis collects water at the firewall body bushings.they also slot a little on the rear arms,im not sure if its from drag racing or normal use.im also going to box in the sides of the frame rails,it seems that it bends real easy.whats the easiest way of posting pics?

Back