You can type here any text you want

Frame notching questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Just take you time and keep the heat out of it, and you'll be fine. I set mine up level and square, strapped it to the rack, double checked the frame measurements, and took a long time welding it, I mean all day, and just kept measuring the frame to be sure nothing was moving. I also boxed it and re-welded the stock seams, fabricated a rear frame rail, and some other mods.

kit from GNXkid had inner, outer frame rails, gussets front and back , tube to keep eveything square,
and material to cap off the old frame area, so was quite well thought out, not just a frame rail!

kit from GNXkid had inner, outer frame rails, gussets front and back , tube to keep eveything square,
and material to cap off the old frame area, so was quite well thought out, not just a frame rail!
Do you remember what he charged?

I think the gbody kit is like $250 plus $50-60 shipping but I haven't seen anyone post about having one. Wonder if there is a market for a good kit??

I think there could be a market, though gbody already sells a kit. What I made was more than the outer rails, it was all the doubler plates, cross bar, braces and all. Just like the kit sold by gbody or GNXkid, but a bit more bracing/doublers. I bought a sheet of 1/4", enough to make 3 kits, for almost 150 bucks from a local steel shop, then used the plasma cutter to cut it, and the grinders/bench grinder for clean up. I like making my own stuff and have the tools to do it, but I think it is beyond a lot of guys with out the tools to cut it. Also, if someone was paying a shop to do it, it may be better to just have a kit then ask them to cut every piece, time is money.

This guy is local and sells a kit he wants $500 for a custom diff stiffener $200
image.jpg
image.jpg

The low riders with the hydros have to stiffen the crap out of the frame to handle all the hopin lol

I welded in a piece of mild steel 1 5/8" tubing across the rear spring perches. I also started tacking the new metal that's replacing the outside frame rail. I ordered the rear frame braces from GNS performance, and I will be fabbing the rear crossmember once those get here. Also got HR Parts upper and lower control arm gussets. After that's finished, I'll drop the frame down and do all the final welding to the notches.

Dank, that's a deal for all that. I'm not sure most people here would want or need it all. I'd like plates to box the frame under the doors. GNS wants $250 for their kit. For that price, I'll make my own.

I think there could be a market, though gbody already sells a kit. What I made was more than the outer rails, it was all the doubler plates, cross bar, braces and all. Just like the kit sold by gbody or GNXkid, but a bit more bracing/doublers. I bought a sheet of 1/4", enough to make 3 kits, for almost 150 bucks from a local steel shop, then used the plasma cutter to cut it, and the grinders/bench grinder for clean up. I like making my own stuff and have the tools to do it, but I think it is beyond a lot of guys with out the tools to cut it. Also, if someone was paying a shop to do it, it may be better to just have a kit then ask them to cut every piece, time is money.

I need to invest in a plasma cutter. It took 2 hours to cut out the new piece for the notch with a cutoff wheel. I'm like you, I'd rather make it, but cutting the stuff out takes forever.

Yeah, having a plasma cutter is nice. The initial investment is not for everyone, but when you do as much as I do, it is priceless to have around.

Back