You can type here any text you want

Frame Notching - Who In NC?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
Is there someone in Charlotte area that can notch frame for wide rear wheels? Prefer someone who has done several (many) TR's.
Conrad

Conrad, I don't know of anybody that has done alot of TR suspension work in NC. However I do know a guy that has done probably thousands of other race cars and he did some AWESOME work to my TR's.... He stays backed up, if you don't find anyone let me know and I will talk to him for you!

Unless you plan on going 9's or lower I wouldn't mess with this one either...

I'm not planning on getting into the 9's so maybe I don't need this. I am looking at wheels and tires and thought I might as well do this now and buy rear wheels only once. I love the look of the BIG rear tires on our cars.

Just curious, why are the quarters buckling? If the area massaged is reinforced, this shouldn't be a problem. What am I missing?

Conrad

Not sure why they do, I saw several at Reynolds and pictures of others as well, all the cars had cages too. There is a thread showing a guy from dent wizard fixing Jack Cotton's car at one race.

Jim

a friend of mine has done it on his car, he has a cutless its a gbody car so most everything should be the same. i will talk to him if you would like for me to. he isnt to far away from you, he is just outside of highpoint the name of his place is the hot rod shop. he does good work.

If you dont have a cage in the car and plan to race it, the frame will tweak after you notch the rear, thus quarters buckling. If youre not gonna race the crap out of it and do 20# launches, notch away.

Almost any race car will buckle the rear quarters when you start racing it hard.

There seems to be a trend here....notching is not a good thing to do to your frame! Surely this can be done so as to not weaken the it. I'm not going to put a cage in it as I want to drive it on the street. Maybe a 4-point sometime.
Conrad

Conrad I've got a frame sitting on the trailer now that's got the "extreme" notch done to it if you want to come check it out & see what work is needed to keep the job from going South. I'll be enlarging the pond tomorrow if you want to ride down Hwy. 74/601 towards the Pageland dragstrip & see what all is involved. Buzz me tomorrow if so @ 704.226.7345. Thanks,

Mike,
I will be on a tight schedule. Have to get back to Albemarle before 5:00.
Conrad

Back