FREE GRAND NATIONAL Mustang Ultimate Challenge: Can stock GN do 10.9 for $2K??

I'm not asking for donations. I'm more than willing to pay for parts. Go make the wager yourself if you don't believe me. I'm sure it is open to anyone. Davinci's Motorworks of Belleville, Illinois is the shop. He'll take up anyone on this board.

I'm not asking for donations. I'm more than willing to pay for parts. Go make the wager yourself if you don't believe me. I'm sure it is open to anyone. Davinci's Motorworks of Belleville, Illinois is the shop. He'll take up anyone on this board.

A big shaft turbo like a te-45a with an open down pipe, at least 50# injectors, good slicks, a scan tool, high boost with c-16, and a 100 shot of nitrous (that will give you .7 second and remove the need for a new converter). And possibly a trailer to tow home the wreckage.

i third the motion for nitrous. someone here had an otherwise stock gn running in the 11's with only nitrous (lots of it i'm sure) for $200 you can pick up a used nitrous kit, fits nicely into the budget and its really true, dollar for dollar you can't beat nitrous.

What about a cage? does it need to be NHRA, you can spend a lot on safety. Especialy is you cannot fabricate a cage.

I would agree with the nitro we have BOTLEFED here and his car has gone 11.4s sea leval and thats stock turbo,intercooler,intake,heads

only has slicks
injectors
and is gutted to the max

Johnny

get someone with direct scan and a chip burner and go for run with the juice to fine tune

oh yea that was with 75shot of juice

keep in mind also that ED(big guy) can lift the front tires off the ground

Actually Botlfed did 11.4 at Las Vegas NV. Not sure what the alt is but I doubt sea level.

He does have stock long block, turbo, intercooler, tranny, converter with 130,000 miles and has ran a 75 shot around several hundred times. He has removed rear seat, a/c, stock seats, inner fenders, wipers & wiper motor, window & lock motors, no exhaust but 4 in. pipe of the turbo, has fiberglass hood, and bumpers.

Since has removed door reinforcement bar, fiberglass trunk lid, cruise control, radio, speakers, console, and anything not needed so I think it will run 10's, oh yea added a second stage of nitrous.

If you lighten it, tune your chip for nitrous, run to stages of nitrous 50 shot of the line and 100 hp after you reach 30 mph (because of traction) I think 10's are feasible even above sea level. :D :D :cool: :eek:

nitrous with two nozzles (50 & 100) attached to one bottle used should be around 250-300, good fuel pump(double pumper would be nice-400-500 used, send me a blank or used chip and I will burn you a chip that should be close for a stock Gn- free, good tune up (new platinum plugs, clean intercooler, clean throttle body, can of gm intake cleaner to clean carbon deposits, Tranny fluid and fliter, basic spring cleaning of gnttype board) 100-150. If lightened should be dam close to tens. If you have money left over by a progressive nitrous controller and use 1 stage of nitrous and bring it in over 1-1.5 seconds and that help with traction.

Sorry to the TB.com members, but I gotta post this. I love reading this board and I've learned a lot, but there's a few facts left out of this story.

Originally posted by CombatComProg
No, this was a challenge for YOU to do it. Not your momma or your daddy or your uncle joe or 20 people on the internet. You said...
Originally posted by YOU
You can get to 10 seconds with less than $2,000.

The original bet was for him to get the GN @ the shop in the 10s for $1500 before opening day (which is Saturday). If he succeeds, he keeps the car. If you don't, he buys it for double or we keep the mods done to it. Written contract was offered up too. After you found out it was an '85, you then said...
Originally posted by YOU again
You are absolutely correct. I totally ****ed up on that. I feel like an ass. $2000 could get me to deep 10's buying used. Sorry, I was taking that figure from my ad for the car in the for sale section and forgot I stated that. My bad. I can get the car into 10's is what I meant, not deep tens. No 11.1 or 11 flat, but I can guarantee a 10.9.

I could go on and on and on and.... More backpeddling than an NFL cornerback. I'll be at the track Saturday, as will all the people you called out and never raced.

I want to know what happened to Sunday? I had a race setup for your blue tugboat w/ an LT1 Camaro on nuts. He was ready, called you twice and heard nothing. Wait long enuff and you'll have a lane w/ the Mustang. Just a 302 w/ a stick and a hit. :)

(in my best Waylon Jennings voice).... Well folks...here we go again..,looks like bench racin is at the peak of the season...:D

Didn't the NOS test car GN run 10.90s with just a test pipe, slicks, good gas and a 90HP hit? I'm pretty sure it did. I think it went 14.20 on boost, and 10.9X on the can. Sounds like you could do that and have a $1000.00 left to spare!

By the way, last year I dumped a bit more than that into my GN, but thats only cause after repeated abuse I broke a trans, blew up a converter, spun a bearing, ect., ect. But even after replacing everything with used parts, I only spent about $4000.00 total.

10.60s @ 125-126mph / 1.47 60' on stock axles....thats living on the edge! (Only broke one so far)

Cliff

I remember the official NOS products pamphlet listing a TR running 13.9 or so at 97 and 11.9 on the bottle but the add didn't list what size shot was used. Was the NOS test car something different than this that they pushed to a 10.9??