FREE GRAND NATIONAL Mustang Ultimate Challenge: Can stock GN do 10.9 for $2K??

CombatComProg

There is a mustang shop near St. Louis willing to pay me $2,000 if I can get my stock T to run 10.9 with $2,000 invested or less. They are even willing to supply me a stock 87 GN with stretch intercooler and supply $2,000. They have gone so far as to wager their GN!! What do you guys think? I'm feeling really optimistic. From what I've seen from the mods on my blue GN, and mods I've done on other cars, this can be done. I've also heard of plenty of success stories from people on the board. I'm looking for advice on how to do this. I have $2,000 to spend, and I am also looking for parts! Please dig for parts you don't need and try to work with me on the price -only $2K to spend! If someone is near St. Louis and wants to partner up with me on this venture, I'm game. Give me input folks!
So far I am thinking:

Slicks -still need

Walbro 340 Fuel pump & hotwire kit -already have

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator -need

New turbo -as high as can go on stock transmission -need

TH 3" downpipe -may already have

Injectors -what size? -have 42.5lbs, but I'll need to go bigger

Turbotweak Chip -need

ATR rear swaybar -need

airbag- need

62mm tb and plenum -can get new for about $75 after core trade

Progressive alcohol kit -have

Weight reduction -battery to trunk, front swaybar off, interior if need be,

This is just a start -what else?

you have to buy all new stuff or used parts also? makes day and night to know that info to set your combo

oh and btw you won't need to go the alky route I think...it's more a drop C16 in that thing and crank the boost pretty much to the max story here to get in the 10's on a budget

The big turbo with stock trnas (guess that means converter too) may be the hard part.

70 series turbo
72 #/hr injectors - computer mod
make your own wastegate
you are getting an intercooler
3" down pipe - open or no cat
good fuel pump and power to the pump (wire)
big Slicks
c-16 + lots of boost
self port the heads

Make sure it is all working right - spring cleaning

Keep us posted - sounds like fun.

Used parts maybe, and thats with major boost and a disregard for if it lives after one run. If they are going to supply the stretch that will help, but make sure the stretch has the big neck on it to help out with pressure drop.

I also say save the $$ on the alky and just run C16 for the pass and tuning.

I would also just drop the Cat and run an open DP to save some dough on the exhaust and bigger DP.

Minimum would be big slicks (NEW $350), a great converter (used $400) and as little as a TE61 ($400) if you run at least 30 psi.

Then you need the small things like a chip, injectors ( see if you can get those two together ), Manual Boost Controller ( $10 on ebay ) a cone ($45), bigger rear brake shoes and the S10 cylinders. You could do it if you pushed it to the brink and got the parts used.

Hell, there is a guy on here doing like 11.3 with the stock turbo, IC, heads so you could probably do it with a lot of tuning and a much bigger turbo.

Sounds like fun, good luck. :cool:

My thoughts:

Slicks -still need - 10 x 28 on 10" rims (buy nice used stuff that hasn't been sitting for years)

Walbro 340 Fuel pump & hotwire kit -already have

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator -need

New turbo -as high as can go on stock transmission - need
PT61 P trim minimum (it could be done with a smaller turbo if all things are perfect,the planets are aligned and you got a tail wind) :)

TH 3" downpipe -may already have

Injectors -what size? -have 42.5lbs, but I'll need to go bigger - 50's minimum (good used low mileage OK)

Turbotweak Chip -need - race chip for C-16 and high boost

ATR rear swaybar -need (not needed)

airbag- need - used.....just need one but two would be OK

62mm tb and plenum -can get new for about $75 after core trade - not needed

Progressive alcohol kit -have - run C-16 for the goal....use alcohol later

Weight reduction -battery to trunk, front swaybar off, interior if need be, - what wheels do you have? aluminum wheels,gut the bumper supports,remove exhaust,ect.

buy a used 9" converter (3200 minimum but 3500+ even better) and this will go much easier :)

You'll need to change the valve springs if they haven't been done already.

I think it can be done but you really need to pay attention to details and get the car to leave hard ;)

This sounds sweet and I would love to be there when it happens. What shop is it. And what self proclaimed mustang shop has it's own GN?

Do donations count against the budget?

10.90's on a $2,000 budget? Hmmmm. Well, you'll have those that it doesn't take much to get into the 10's. But if they're truelly honest with themselves, it took more.

Honestly, I don't think "you can get there from here", that is to say, run 10.90's with $2,000.

If I had the money to try, it would take, at a minimum:
Good and large slicks
MUCH larger injectors than you have, simply because it's going to take a fairly large turbo to get there.
The reason is, you don't have any money in the budget to make any internal mods to the engine, such as head work and cam!!!!
You're stuck with trying to run 10's on a stock long block.
My goal was to run mid 11's on a totally stock engine (bolt on's only), and after a year of tuning and trying, I got REAL close (11.60's), and did it with MSD-50's, PTE44 turbo, and a big front mount, oh ya, and a real strong multi disc vigillante converter.
I was literally pushing EVERYTHING to the max limits! Timing was 29°, boost was 27#, etc. The only thing I lacked was a good set of rubber!! With good rubber and launch I MAY have been able to squeeze out another .10 or .20(max)

Good Luck!!

I think your best bet is to drop in some C16, buy a decent sized used turbo, and spray the life out of the thing. I'd say a 200 shot might do it if the car hooks.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: Gut the car. Remove anything not absolutely neccessary to run, seats, bumpers, radio, speakers, A/C, heater box, carpet, and run a minimal amount of gas.

I agree with sam, your gonna have to spray it to get a 10.9 out of it with that cheap. The main thing id be worried about is the stock tranny breaking. If you can find some used parts you may be able to pull it off.

Well, the mustang shop is in Beleville, Illinois. They have an '87 GN sitting in the parking lot. The owner thinks that the fastest a GN can go on $2K is 12's. Donations would count, but borrowed parts would go down as a used price. Is there anyone on this site that has gone 10.99 without ever removing the valve covers? The car does need to make the drive back. Ya C16 will definitely be going in the car, I was just saying that I already have an alky kit that I could throw on. I really want to see this happen. Is there anyone in the St. Louis area that wanted to help? I can do all of the bolt-on stuff myself, but I've never touched a transmission, and I don't have the capacity to port the heads myself.

If he thinks it will only do 12's what's wrong with mid to low 11's?

Race chip, race gas, big turbo, slicks, transbrake, yadda yadda yadda.

Might be doable on $2K with used parts.

Take the exhaust off the car completely.

Take everything off the car to save weight.

Port the freakin' heads when he ain't lookin'. :rolleyes:

Kind of a stupid vague challenge if you ask me.

Post the whole rules and that would help. :)

Oh, and get a lawyer to look them over for loopholes, or post them in the TSM section. ;)

Is there anyone on this site that has gone 10.99 without ever removing the valve covers?

10.92 @ 122...........but we did take the valve covers off to replace the valve springs :)

There was @ 85k miles on the whole car at the time......including the trans ;)

Mods were:

old school PT70 p trim
PTE front mount
55 lb. injectors
TH 3' downpipe
K&N filter
Valve springs
9" converter @ 3200
shift kit
double intank pumps
28 x 10 slicks on 10" wheels

There was no lightening of the car except the use of a 3" ATR single shot exhaust and aluminum wheels.Any weight reduction on your car would assist your effort.

We were running a FAST system but it can be done with a good chip tune as well........the FAST system just gets you there........well.......FASTER..........LOL!!!

It will take 30+ psi.......so get a 35 or 60 psi gauge :)

You would need a scan tool and plenty-O-C-16 :D

You'll need to shop used and shop smart ;)

What would the time limit be?

Too bad I don't live back there.........I love a good challenge :D

take the money

put the car on a diet after spending the 2 grand. remove the hood ,trunk, interior, anything thats not essential, that is of course if they didnt specify u couldn't do it that way! Good luck.

Re: take the money

Originally posted by Brer Rabbit
put the car on a diet after spending the 2 grand. remove the hood ,trunk, interior, anything thats not essential, that is of course if they didnt specify u couldn't do it that way! Good luck.

Not sure if they'll let me run the track like that -lol. This started out as me being a member of a local racing site and simply stating that my car has hit 10's and runs consistent low 11's. For some reason, a bunch of supra and RX7 owners thought those kind of times to be absurd. One of the RX7 owners owns a performance shop with a 6 or 7 second mustang. 6 or 7 seconds the two times it's ever ran that is. It was sitting for half a year with flat tires in the back of the shop the last time I saw it. Anyway, when I listed the mods I had on the car, they really thought I was nuts, especially when I told them how much the mods cost. I think the Buick community has developed extremely productive, efficient, and economical performance solutions and support, and I said a 10.99 car could be done for under $2001. They think 12's is the best that can be done for $2k. The performance shop owner was so sure of this, that he offered up an '87 GN that he had sitting in the lot. He said I get the car, and he'll front the $2K to have me play Dr. Frankenstein with it and work my magic. The car would have to be done not too long into Gateway International Raceway's season. I keep the car if it goes 10.99 or I pay double what he's selling it for if it doesn't. He has also said he'll go with just making it a $2,000 wager. He keeps mods and I pay $2K if it doesn't hit 10.99. That is the deal. I haven't inspected his car yet, but I have a completely original '87 T as well. I've got an alky kit, TH downpipe, Walbro 340 Fuel Pump & pulleys here already. I'll see what I can get for parts and then take it from there. I'm interested if you have anything I can use. Thanks!