Front Air Dam

Plastic Air Dam

Currently I am considering using SP910 korad capped high impact ABS plastic. This material is perfect for this application. It has a good tensile strength, impact strength, and desirable coefficients of expansion for this application. This material is very resistant to heat. All the other automotive components I have designed using this material have passed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 302 flammability testing.

The material finish will be what is referred to in the plastic industry as a hair cell finish. This finish is similar to the texture on the OEM part but will not match it exactly, and because of the UV protection layer that will be incorporated into this air dam it will be a semi gloss finish, as apposed to the flat factory finish. Does any one not find this type of finish appealing for this product?

I am meeting with my favorite plastic vendor that I currently deal with at my professional job this Tuesday during my lunch break. We will be discussing tooling costs, material to be used, lead time for the tooling, ETC. Patrick and I will keep everyone up to date on our status of getting this Air Dam Developed.

Thanks every one for your feedback ;) . You guys are the ones feeding me the energy needed to get this done.

Sam Colalillo

Sam Colalillo said:
it will be a semi gloss finish, as apposed to the flat factory finish. Does any one not find this type of finish appealing for this product?

I think that would be great. I always found the dull, grayish finish of the stock ones to be unappealing. I'm always putting Black Magic on them to keep them semi-glossy and black.

Jim

choices

We are busy getting the completed CAD deawings and measurements so it fits perfect to the car.

We are running into a delimma. If we make the air dam one piece, it will most likely look the best. But the tooling costs are more and the part price is more.... on top of that, using our dimensions, UPS and FedEx will charge a double oversize to ship the part. up to $45 depending on where you live....

Doing a 3 piece design keeps costs down. We are pretty confident that we could make it so the two pieces overlap seamlessly so it would look good. Also, it would allow the center piece to be switched out at a later time with with a scoop or even a taller air dam to deflect more air.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas? is one way better than the other? Let us know. Our top priority is to make a quality part that the Buick community wants and can be proud to put on their car. Thanks

Pat

I would prefer a 1pc but understand the issues.

Maybe they could snap together or overlap like you mention.

I guess as long as you couldn't tell?

i would rather have a one piece and dont mind paying 45-60 bucks for shipping for a quality piece like that.

In the long run the 3 pieces would probably be better, i like the fact that you can posably change the middle piece with different pieces in the future when you come out with taller/scoop style middle section. i think that is a great idea!

I have been dealing with that oversize BS from UPS with my intercoolers and it is not cool. My pipe box is like 1" to big so they charge me 30# instead of the actual 9# the box, pipes and hardware weighs. it sucks.

Race Jace said:
In the long run the 3 pieces would probably be better, i like the fact that you can posably change the middle piece with different pieces in the future when you come out with taller/scoop style middle section. i think that is a great idea!

that sounds great also,

now how long till i can get one?

I'd prefer 1 piece and pay the extra shipping, too.

But what does one-piece do to the tooling and production costs?

Jim

met with the plastic vendor

Hello everyone,
I met with the plastic vendor yesterday. I provided them a print of the one-piece design. We discussed many types of material. They are in agreement with me that the SP910 korad capped ABS plastic with the hair cell finish texture is probably the best material for this application. They are going to take the conversation we had yesterday a step further, and discuss it with their engineers. Next they will review with me what their opinions are, before Pat and I make a final decision on the material spec. Currently I think the hair cell finish gloss texture is going to be found appealing by everyone.

In regards to the tooling cost, my current prediction is the three-part design will increase the cost of the tool that is necessary to create this air dam. It will very slightly decrease the cost of the produced product a little. I will know for sure when I get the qoutes. Manufacturing the one-piece design is not an issue; this plastic vendor is capable of making parts much larger than this. The plastic vendor is going to review my print and give us a quote for the one-piece design next Friday. I am going to spend this weekend working on a three-piece design for them to quote also.

Currently our biggest concern is the fact that UPS will undoubtedly make more money on the one-piece design than we will. Please don’t hold back on giving us your opinion. Currently Pat and I are undecided on which path to take (one piece or three piece), once we receive the quotes for both designs and we review your opinions we will be able to make a better decision. Right now I do not think either design is going to be less expensive than the other. It is just the UPS price gouging hurdle we are potentially facing.

Please let us know what you think.

Thanks
Sam Colalillo

What about Fed Ex Ground? I've always found them to be less expensive than UPS, but they probably have an oversize policy too.

Jim

The three piece will definitely be cheaper for us, and I think it could actually look better on some cars than the one piece since you can adjust for the width between the fenders which will vary some from car to car. I vote 3 piece.

Great Job

Sam,
How are you coming with your research?
You better get working on this!
It sounds like you have people waiting in line!
Let me know if you need any help.
I will also take a couple.
Take it easy!
Don't work too hard!
Jason
AffordableGN

here are a couple of pics of the 3 piece air dam. Sam is the baddest CAD designer you've ever met. This piece will be awesome no matter what we go with.

Give us some feedback before we drop a LOT of jack on a tool for this.

Thanks

Pat

Attachments

• air_dsm_3_pc_front.jpg
    air_dsm_3_pc_front.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 331
  • air_dsm_3_pc_iso.jpg
    air_dsm_3_pc_iso.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 288
  • air_dsm_3_pc_rear.jpg
    air_dsm_3_pc_rear.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 280
First of all, kudos for all of your hard work! However, it seems to me, if you're going to essentially stay with the factory lines and merely fill the gap, why not just produce a filler piece that would blend nicely with the existing air dam? For those who want the cleanest look it wouldn't be that hard to fill the seams.
Not criticizing because I want a full spoiler and very much appreciate anyone taking on the project to supply them. I personally would like to see a slight bit of curvature on the bottom edge so it looked more custom than stock but I think your safest product will be the direction you're headed to satisfy the purist or more stealth approch.
Thank you again for taking this on and boosting the interest in these cars.
MLH

The 3-piece is growing on me now, especially if there is a possibility that that center piece can be swapped out for a scoop-piece (if you decide to design one).

I'd prefer a scoop in the middle to get air to my trans cooler and up to the bottom of the IC. Lots of people with FMICs put their trans coolers in 'the gap'. I don't know how the air flows up there, but I'd have to assume that the trans cooler gets more air now with 'the gap' than it would with a dam that closes the gap. I'd probably still buy one, though, because it cleans up the front of the car so much.

Is it any lower than stock? I noticed the other day that at certain angles I can see my FMIC pipes. It's no big deal, but something that was about 1/4-1/2" lower would hide them.

Jim