You can type here any text you want

Front Brakes upgrade.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I hit the junkyard and ripped a set of spindles/dust shields off an 86 Caprice wagon. Rotors appeared to be 12". Could someone confirm that I got the right ones? I read a thread I found on google that it said up to 85 some had 12" brakes, and after 87, they all did. So where does 86 fall??? Kinda worried a tad. Wanna make sure before I blast em and paint em.

I wouldn't put much faith in those numbers. Strapping on a set of slicks will achieve the same results. Strapping on a set of sticky DOT tires will achieve the same results. Using one of those old G-Tech meters will achieve the same results. Doing the tests on concrete as compared to old asphalt will net the same results. Using a skid pad that is supposed to be 300 feet in diameter when it is really 250' will net the same results. Moral of the story. Lateral G forces do nothing......except sell magazines.

I've always said it's the driver and not the car. Buckle me up in a 35 year old Vega with bald bias plys and I'll beat a 16 YO old girl in a brand new C6...every time.:tongue: Which is the other moral to the story. After you build the suspension learn how to use it effectively. :cool:

OK stick me on a cross and pound nails in me. Sorry I mentioned the magazine article.

I was just lying about my car too. My MonteCarlo stops just as good with the stock brakes. When It was SCCA raced it didn't do any better after the suspension and brake upgrades. I am a lousy driver, and I do not know any thing about cars.

You caught me in the act.

I just finished ordering the rest of the parts for the swap and found a set of spindles/calipers from an 86 caprice wagon. Of course I have to get them sandblasted. The 1le rotors are available from gmpartsdirect, for 48 a piece! Virtually half of what pepboys, autozone, etc. wants for em. Just an fyi.

DR BOOST, when all is said and done, I want a shot at the 0-100mph-0 peoples champion trophy.

I just finished ordering the rest of the parts for the swap and found a set of spindles/calipers from an 86 caprice wagon. Of course I have to get them sandblasted. The 1le rotors are available from gmpartsdirect, for 48 a piece! Virtually half of what pepboys, autozone, etc. wants for em. Just an fyi.

DR BOOST, when all is said and done, I want a shot at the 0-100mph-0 peoples champion trophy.

Not trying to be a hater, but, how much was shipping on those bad boys?

Can I have a shot at that trophy too! :biggrin:

Upgrading my brakes was THE best money I've spent. I love the "go fast" goodies as well but having the confidence to stop the car NOW is priceless. I look forward to your impressions when you are all done.

Not sure yet, but I am confident that shipping is not 40 dollars a piece to offset the price of the rotors compared to pepzone. Will let you know when all is said and done.

Can I have a shot at that trophy too! :biggrin:

Upgrading my brakes was THE best money I've spent. I love the "go fast" goodies as well but having the confidence to stop the car NOW is priceless. I look forward to your impressions when you are all done.

Will do, one of the main reasons I went this route was due to the negative camber that these arms will create with those spindles to add the high speed stability. My car will be more of a pro-touring setup. I will let you know when I am done, if that ever happens. Once again, powerbrakebob has gone into hiding again.:mad:

Update for you, cost 21 bucks to ship to my front door, which included 2 rotors, a pack of castle nuts, a pack of washers and a pack of dust shield to spindle gaskets. Not bad at all as it would have cost me double for all that at my local store. Only problem is that you have to buy the washers/castle nuts/ and gaskets in packs of 5 to 10. So if you are thinking of doing this swap, I can sell you the castle nut, washers, and gaskets as I have extra. Obviously, I only need two.:D

So all in all, the only other thing needed is the hotchkis or other comparable a-arms? In your first post, you said you went with 1le rotors and calipers. But here you say wagon calipers. So then did you go with 1le rotors and then the wagon calipers? How is bump steer by the way?

You have to run the 1LE rotors, The wagon uses a 5X5 bolt pattern!

Sam, did you have to use the brake hoses for the Caprice? I bought a set of russel braided lines that were originally for my GN but they seem a tad bit long and seem to bind a bit on full turn. (of course being the caliper and diameter are larger). I noticed on the car craft article that when they did their malibu they ordered the brake hoses for the impala that they got the donor spindles from. I am assuming the malibu is the same chassis (brake lines, etc). I am wondering if I need to order the brake hoses for an 86 caprice wagon. (where I got my spindles from).

Back