You can type here any text you want

Front Cover Gasket???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1chance

I picked up my 87 GN from Freds Perfromance last week, and its been blowing oil under boost. I assumed it was coming from the oil pump, but after looking at it closer today the gasket around the timing cover seems to be sticking out on the passenger side at the bottom near oil pump. I dont understand why, but i got that front cover from T/A perf, so is there a difference in the cover compared to a stock GN cover? Also can i just get a gasket from the local parts store to replace it? Then i was wondering if i took the cover lose, will the oil pan seal back, or do i need to replace it to?

The timing cover gasket set should come with the pieces to replace the front of the pan gasket. In my experience though if you pull the timing cover it's a good idea to drop the pan just in case some gasket material gets in there. It's only a couple extra minutes and you know the job is done right. Parts store gaskets are great. If you have a shimmed button for a roller cam you'll want to measure camshaft end play when you're done, especially if you don't know what brand gasket is currently installed. Did Freds Perfromance install the timing cover? If so why don't you just take it back to them?

I don't know what the difference is in the front covers but i would guess they did some cleaning up in the oil passages and proper setting of the gears.

The timing cover gasket set ( Fel-Pro TCS 45930) can be purchased locally at the parts stores and it comes with a small section of new oil pan gasket,oil pump cover gasket,fuel pump block off plate gasket,thermostat housing o-ring,water pump gasket,timing cover seal,timing cover gasket;everything you need except sealant.

If you have a shimmed button for a roller cam you'll want to measure camshaft end play when you're done, especially if you don't know what brand gasket is currently installed. Did Freds Perfromance install the timing cover? If so why don't you just take it back to them?[/quote] As far as shim button for roller cam, i have no idea. Maybe your right, take it back, its just a long drive.

Well i pulled the front of the engine down, and found that the bolt above the oil pump was finger tight, but since i had pullled all the stuff down i just replaced the gasket anyway. Hope leak is fixed!

That bolt goes into the crankcase and oil will weep out of it if it's not tight. Use thread sealer on also. Call Fred's and let them know also.

Back