Front Covers GM vs. the others

CarbedBuick

Does anyone have any experiences with these particular front covers available for the V-6?

GM Performance #25500169 $226.80 (not Dal's price!)

Has cool V-6 logo on it, and says it is machined to accept a cran-fired ignition trigger. Is this relevant to an NA V-6?

PTE $165

Says it is a high volume cover-this is good. Also offer a filter adapter and high volume pump gears for an additional $55.

Bowling Green Cutoms $125

Comes with a matching seal.

My initial choice was to go with the PTE, but I didn't realize other vendors were in this business, especially GM (surprise, surprise)

Jay Westfall
Katy, TX

JCotton, Kenny Bell and just about any vendor will too.
Not sure about the cran trigger
They are all about the same price, If you are going to replace get the one with a high flow oil pump & sence you are there thiiink about replacing timimg gears and maybe the cam.....
Jim

I'm the last one to saaay anything about spelling......
I still did not about it no matter how it's spelled.
I know that the 84 & ups have a cam sensor, but not us

The crank-trigger provision was some of the more exotic igintions. SFI engines do use a crank sensor, but it doesn't need machining into the cover.

Going by what people have been saying, stay far away from Bowling Green Customs.

PTE is the best choice of the three, IMO. Most TR vendors redistribute this piece. But $220 for a front cover assembly is a LOT of money. You can get a kit to convert your current pump to high volume for about $15 at the local auto parts store. The other nice thing about the PTE cover is that the front seal can be installed from the front. But the stock cover can be machined for this as well. Also, the PTE cover may need the mechanical fuel pump boss opened, drilled and tapped.

Besides the hi-volume, you can also use a Ruggle's booster plate or a "Biggie" PF-24 filter adapter, or all three. I plan to only go with the PF-24 adapter and block off the oil bypass popet.

The most important things is that the oil pump housing not be galled to bad. This used cover seems like the best bargin if yours is toast (notice the pump housing picture):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601958084&r=0&t=0

I had a problem witha H.V. front cover. I got it though Goodson machine . It had the seal on the front.

The problem I had was that the front sealed leaked , seals only lasted 200 miles. Turns out that the oil seal hole was off center. Goodson refunded my money. And I still buy from them. But in this case I got a H.V. front cover for Jack Cotton , The problem went away.

One other thing , If you "ready sleeve" the balancer. Be careful some of the sleves end right where the seal lip seals. I had to use a "national ready sleve" because it can be install deeper than the othher brand I tryed.

HV pump

Like b4black said you can get a hv kit at your local parts house. That is how I did mine and I am running a performance Elgin cam and double-roller timing. That is about the easiest way to go.

That GM Performance cover is meant for Stage II engines and has no provision for stock type oiling GB

front covers

according to the Buick power source book, the 82 front cover, (a-car-century) part no 25512585 uses a different water pump that is 268%-268% !!!! more efficient and requires up to 65% less horsepower to operate than any 3.8 cover. it uses a different water pump, so some polleys may have to be changed hope you find this helpful