You can type here any text you want

Front Frame Brace Install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MNwe4

Hey guys, ordered the front frame braces from Kirban's last week and have a few questions.

1) Should the car be off the ground like it was for installing the rear seat braces or is it fine if I just crawl under the car?

2) Does the Kirban kit use the self tapping bolts like I have heard some others use or is it regular nuts and bolts?

3) Any other advice?

I'll post pics after the install if anyone wants me to. Thanks.

If its the 'V' brace from the crossmember to the front frame rails, there is not much to it. Screw both braces into the crossmember, and then bolt them to the frame rails. If you get everything bolted up with no issues, you can be confident that your car's front frame rails are true and the car was probably never hit. If things dont line up, and you cant install the brace.......you have frame issues.

i did mine with the car sitting on a couple of boards to get it up in the air a little bit. i think that with any bracing like that, it's best to install it with the car sitting on the ground so the body is loaded like it would normally be.

Thanks guys. It is the "V" brace and the frame should be good. My dad is the orginal owner and it's never been in an accident. Backed into by a dumbass in a parking lot, but never hit hard.

kirbans kit uses self tapping bolts that go in cradle and nut and bolts for the front frame. you can do this on jack stands. these braces don't fit with precision slic. and may not fit with other slics. just somethin for you to look into.
hth, tim

Thanks. I have a fmic so it should be all clear. So what's the consensus, suspension loaded or unloaded for the install, or does it not really matter?

Thanks. I have a fmic so it should be all clear. So what's the consensus, suspension loaded or unloaded for the install, or does it not really matter?

id do it with the car on a hoist or on jackstands to the frame
-dan

id do it with the car on a hoist or on jackstands to the frame
-dan
how is that better than doing it with the suspension loaded?
i would think it would be better to do it with the weight of the car distributed as it will be when it's done..

You can jack up the car, install them loosely, then set it down and tighten. Better than trying to the entire thing with the car at ground level. I don't think it really matters anyway, they aren't getting welded in, if you install with the car raised and then set it down, they will shift if they need to.

Hey guys, ordered the front frame braces from Kirban's last week and have a few questions.

1) Should the car be off the ground like it was for installing the rear seat braces or is it fine if I just crawl under the car?

2) Does the Kirban kit use the self tapping bolts like I have heard some others use or is it regular nuts and bolts?

3) Any other advice?

I'll post pics after the install if anyone wants me to. Thanks.

"Do post pic after you have install them would like to see it. Thanks.

I just installed a set in my car the other day. There is not enough room underneath to do it while the car is on the ground. It has to be on a lift or jacked up.

I did mine jacked up and it is just fine. Noticable decrease (but not total) in noises on my T-Top car.

John

how is that better than doing it with the suspension loaded?
i would think it would be better to do it with the weight of the car distributed as it will be when it's done..

sitting on all 4s your frame is already flexing
the idea of the bracing to it no so much to prevent flex as it is to limit flex
id think that if you mounted them with the car unloaded setting on all 4s would then in a sense preload the bracing making it to not want to allow any further flexing that way occur during driving procedures
just my theory
-dan

when the car is sitting still, the chassis isn't "flexing"- it's pre loaded right where you want to keep it. when you get your wheels aligned, the car chassis is sitting on all 4 wheels, and yo uare going to want to keep the chassis as close to that as possible.

if you do it with the car up on jackstands, the weight of the engine and trans are going to be pulling down on the front of the frame, which is tweaking everything in unnatural ways. if you put your bracing on with the front of the chassis getting pulled down like that, you might wind up with the chassis somewhat pre loaded in a bad way. granted, it might not be enough to mess with a street car and the bracing might move a little bit when you set it back down, but why not keep it as close to it's "natural" state as you can?

DSC02026.jpg

All,

I just put some junkyard ones on mine (with the car on jacks). It really tightened the car up. Now to do the body bushings and connecting frame brace (already have the x-braces in back).

Rob

SC&C's H.D. One-piece front frame brace :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC01796.JPG
    DSC01796.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,416
Back