You can type here any text you want

Front Frame Brace Install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
T-Charged: Looks beautiful. I don't see a lot of room for a aftermarket SLIC though.

Sorry it took me so long guys, didn't have my computer over the weekend. Well I got the kit from Kirbans and it's nice and simple. Put the car on a lift at my friends house and noticed something that won't allow me to put the braces on. I have an oil cooler and remote filter attached under the frame where the brace bolts to the passenger side. I may try to move the cooler and still use the braces or just end up selling them. The drivers side looks like it would have fit up nicely though. See pics.

Attachments

• drivers side frame.JPG
    drivers side frame.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,065
  • passengers side frame.JPG
    passengers side frame.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,080
Maybe i just can't figure it out from the orientation of that picture but I don't see anything that would get in the way of the braces...

Your oil filter system is up by the air dams, the braces aren't that far forward.

T-Charged: Looks beautiful. I don't see a lot of room for a aftermarket SLIC though.

Thinking the same thing. Wish someone would make something for us with SLICs

I e-mailed Mark about that very question guys. Basically he said that if the brace clears the swaybar, its good. He also designed the brace to align with the swaybar, if you notice the crossbar in the above pics. On the stretched SLICs Ive seen, there's a hole int he shroud for the bar. Couldnt you just make it deeper so it'll clear both?

He also said a few no-name swaybars that are bent differently may require frame spacers, but any well designed name brand bar should clear without issue.

Any questions, call him and ask! 1-610-346-8154, or e-mail him at tech@scandc.com. It took him a bit, but he did get back to me. Nice guy!

Not to hijack this thread, but if I was to guess about clearance between the above pictured one piece front frame brace and the PT&E SLIC, I would think that the controlling features of interference will not be the cross bar that runs parallel to the sway bar but the angular bars that run diagonal. I currently run a Thunderfab SLIC and the Kirban 3 piece front frame brace set-up, and there is just barely enough clearance on the driver side between the angular small brace that runs diagonal and the driver side rear corner of the intercooler itself. About .100 clearance maybe. I am planning on ordering a PT&E SLIC in the very near future and will post up the results first with the Kirban 3 piece set-up, and then maybe experiment with the Marcus Savitske set-up.
Also, FWIW, & IMHO, Marcus Savitske of Savitske Classic & Custom (SC&C) in a true innovator and has created a lot great products for our cars. Without him and the products that he has designed for the G Body cars, we would have a very limited access to up to date, innovative suspension performance products.

If you are wondering if they will hit your slic go by Home Depot and buy a 10 ft stick of 1/2" EMT. Get a tape measure and a hacksaw and mock some fakies up to see.

EMT will prolly cost 2 bucks. Take a hammer or a vise and smash the ends and mock up. You'll get close enough to tell if they'll work for ya.

Kirbans passenger side brace will not work with the PTE SLIC, I suggested someone design braces that would work in the new product suggestion section a few weeks ago.
Mike

what size self tap bolts do u guys use for the frame braces to bolt up to the cossmember where the 2 meet?

The original GM bolt is a M10 X 1.5 X 30 thread cutting. Part #11509171
Still available GM, some dealers may have in stock, or if ordering must order 10.
Not available from any hardware source that I have found.
Some vendors are now using SAE 3/8 - 16 X 1 hex washer head thread cutting bolts. Not exactly the same.
If you had braces on previously, you could use regular grade 8 (or 8.8 if metric) bolts if you match the threads.
If you can't find them, let me know. I should have some in a week or two.

hey T-CHARGED i cant seem to find those GM M10 x 1.5 x 30 self cutting bolts and was wondering if u have across those u said u might ? lmk thank you

Well, looks like I need a front swaybar. I finally got around to trying to install my SC&C HD frame brace. And it wouldn't fit. I DID NOT have a problem with Mark's product, let me make that clear! I like the product, it's a very very nice piece! Well built and well engineered!

I just got off the phone with SC&C. I dont know who I talked to, but he was very, very knowledgeable. The problem lies with my 36mm F-Body IROC swaybar, and I kinda figured it would. So looks like Im going to be changing out a swaybar here soon.

Just figured I'd update you guys.

I am planning on ordering a PT&E SLIC in the very near future and will post up the results first with the Kirban 3 piece set-up, and then maybe experiment with the Marcus Savitske set-up.

They wont fit unless you mod the Pass side. It needs to be extended & bent more unless you just drill a hole somewhere else but they will need a mod of some kind or no go. I had mine on for years & for the last 3 years since Precislion Stock Location Cooler they just sit collecting dust. Maybe one day I'll put them back on? Altho, since I installed my front sway bar again I have no need with the ATR out back. They were nice without a front bar on tho!

Well, looks like I need a front swaybar. I finally got around to trying to install my SC&C HD frame brace. And it wouldn't fit. I DID NOT have a problem with Mark's product, let me make that clear! I like the product, it's a very very nice piece! Well built and well engineered!

I just got off the phone with SC&C. I dont know who I talked to, but he was very, very knowledgeable. The problem lies with my 36mm F-Body IROC swaybar, and I kinda figured it would. So looks like Im going to be changing out a swaybar here soon.

Just figured I'd update you guys.

Just curious, but are you sure you got the Buick version?

Funny... I just stole the F41 braces and the Grand Prix cross brace off my MCSS (getting torn down for a resto in the Spring) and slapped them on the Buick. Amazingly it all fit despite the FMIC and 36mm sway bar being in the way. I also jammed on a pair of the fender to upper core support braces for good measure. The car still had the factory core support cross braces in place.

I climbed onto the core support and tried to bounce the suspension... the car got noticeably tighter. I'd jumped on it earlier before the install. Not very emperical... but, it was worth a laugh.

Now I am going to build a front bumper brace to tie the frame rails together since the only thing holding it together up there is a fiberglass bumper. :o

Back