You can type here any text you want

Front is too low

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpratt

After installing S10 spindles, lowering springs and Howe tall ball joints my front end is too low. I have had it for almost a year now and I am sick of rubbing over every bump and turn. It even rubs when I brake with medium force. I love the look but hate the rub. Solutions? New springs? Regular ball joints? Spring spacers?

After installing S10 spindles, lowering springs and Howe tall ball joints my front end is too low. I have had it for almost a year now and I am sick of rubbing over every bump and turn. It even rubs when I brake with medium force. I love the look but hate the rub. Solutions? New springs? Regular ball joints? Spring spacers?

What's the spec on your wheels and tires?

Spring Spacers are an option (I've done it myself).

Rob

btw, I am on 2" drop spindles and 2" springs and 20s and dont rub under braking...something isnt right...springs are soft as butter or shocks are dead...or both?!

Front are Simmmon's F Series 17x8.5 4.4 backspace (or offset I forget which)
Tires are Nitto 555 245-45/17 which are 25.67 tall inflated and 9.6 wide.

A 20" rim does not tell enough. The inflated tire dimensions and backspace or off set are key to how big the tire is in the wheel well.

that's a wide wheel with a fairly tall tire on it... When I went 17x8 with the same tire you have, I ordered with a 4.75" bs, probably going to use either a 0.125-0.25" spacer, but I ordered the wheels with room to grow for a front C5 brake upgrade.

If you look at most cars (like Scot's) with a wide front rim, the tire height is down around 25.0".

Did you upgrade to the S-10 style bump stops that are progressive?

Where is your front fender height at in center of the arch?
What lowering springs?

You can get nice spacers from SC&C that will fit into the control arm pocket. That may be your easiest option to raise the front end, unless you go in and clearance the inner wheel houses. Another thing to check is to make sure your body is centered... if it's not, you may only be rubbing on one side.

A 20" rim does not tell enough. The inflated tire dimensions and backspace or off set are key to how big the tire is in the wheel well.

Please PM me your number and a good time to call - I have been down this exact road with the same exact front end/wheels/tire size you have.

Rob

Call Mike at SC&C and ordered those spacers. We will see what happens. I will get measurements next time I have the car out.

The back spacing looks like it will cause an issue a little bit of an issue at 4.4"... Mine are at 4.75" and do not rub lock to lock at all..

The wheel height is your main problem! Sure it can be masked/solved by installing spacers and such but it kind of defeats the purpose of lowering it in the first place right? when lowering these cars to this point the front tire has to be a maximum of 25" tall OR LESS to fit properly and keep it from rubbing...

Here is my tire spec's:

FRONT: 255-35/18
REAR: 285-40/18 (Soon to be changed to lessen the rake and make the front & rear tires more equal)..

Scott seems to have found a fix, but just to answer the comment/question;
I didnt give you my specs because i didnt wanna derail the topic, but w/o that people will think I dont really know what I am saying even though I sold wheels/tires for years ..... so;

I run a 245/30-20 which is .39% larger than your 245-45-17...essentially a perfect plus 3 from you. (the 245/45 is the size mose people run as a front 17" on this car from what I have seen) This is why i am saying something sounds off. We are essentially the same regarding tire dimensions except possible wheel offset or the two items i mentioned (springs, shocks....) with me being at least an inch lower and not scrubbing straight line it sounds like wheel offset (The inner fender liners have a lot of curve from fender lip up to the top).
I'd jack it up, pull the wheel and look for rub marks. Somewhere there is a smooth place where the tire has been making contact.
Let us know what you find.

I got the springs from SCandC the same time I installed everything else. The shocks are Bilstein and are also new. I suppose they could be bad. It not only rubs on turns but small bumps and braking so I agree there might be something wrong. I am hoping for time in the near future where I can raise it up and look around.

Back