You can type here any text you want

Front rotors

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
i wanted to know will I need a pro or special tools to change out the rotors, I read a few treads on it and I'm not sure if I wanna deal with this or have a pro do it. Thanks for any advice

Will the new rotors have bearing races already installed? Do you know how to pack bearings? Can you install a rear seal on the rotor? You will need something to get the cotter pin out and a new one in if you choose not to reuse original, and a socket to use on the spindle nut. Of course lug wrench to r&r the wheel and jack stands to support the vehicle. If the new rotors don't have studs you might have to put them in.
Not too hard . Read up on setting the required tension on the spindle bearings. Too loose or too tight is not good.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

It's too easy. You can buy the rotor with studs and bearing races already installed as one completed piece. Only thing else you have to pick up is bearing grease and inner and outer bearings. Can also buy new castellated nut, cotter pin (recommended) and dust seals if you're feeling fancy. No "special" tools required. Here's a step by step:

1) Loosen lug nuts
2) Jack up and support front end
3) Remove lugs then wheel
4) Unbolt caliper from spindle (two hex socket bolts from backside of caliper) and hang caliper out of the way with a piece of wire
5) Pop dust cap off with flathead screwdriver
6) Remove cotter pin with pair of needle nose pliers
7) Remove castellated nut and washer
8 ) Pull entire rotor assembly and bearings off and throw in trash
9) Clean off old grease from spindle, castellated nut, and washer
10) Put a latex glove on one hand and just jam the bearings in and out of the bearing grease container for a few minutes (people tend to overcomplicate this procedure). Just make sure there is lots of grease in every nook and cranny of the bearings
11) Grab the rotor with your clean hand and put it face down in your lap and then stick the inner bearing into the race. The grease should hold it well enough to keep it secured once you go to slide it onto the spindle.
12) Rotate the rotor to where it is basically standing on edge and then stick the outer bearing into the front side race
13) Carefully slide everything onto the spindle, ensuring the bearings don't fall out of the races
14) Replace washer then castellated nut. Tighten nut just a tad bit with a ratchet. It should NOT be torqued down, just barely snuggled up. Replace cotter pin and dust cap.
15) Put wheel back on, tighten lugs, bam.

If the bearings are in good shape there is no need to replace them.

Also the instructions above should be edited to include the installation of the seal.

To remove the inner bearing / seal off the old rotor simply thread the nut back on and drag inner bearing quickly against the nut while pulling the rotor towards you. Seal and bearing will come out together.

Hmm, I don't remember there even being a seal on the back side but just going off memory and I could be wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, bearings can be reused but they do wear over time and are cheap, so I say why bother reinstalling when you can have brand new ones with fresh grease for very little $.

When I replaced my originals, I was surprised the rollers didn't fall out of the housing when I pulled them out. Only indication they were worn was play in the wheel. No noise or grinding.

Back