You can type here any text you want

Front spring and bushing change

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

calais1965

Hello!

I am going to change front springs and bushings at weekend.
I have l tool j-23028 for lower control arm.
I will lower control arm from bushings, instructions on gm book dont tell how much space have to bee under control arm.
How much space i need to get sprigs of and on with this tool...

Thanks!

Just try to remove the spindle from the lower ball joint. You should have no problems getting it out or the new one in that way.

bushing and ball joint change

Where can I find AR bushings Auto Zone said it was a dealer item they carry the u/l balljoints,and also what tools would I need to take the balljoints and bushings out with.

Not sure what you mean by AR bushings? You should be able to get all of your Moog bushings from the parts store.

Tools needed: B.F.H.!!!!!!!!!

tools

what tools do I need to replace my control arm bushings and do they have to be pressed on

Tools

This was best tool to get your lower control arm and spring off.
Hoist your car about 20" and secure with jacks.
Insert this under your inner bushings, take bolts of and lower it down.

DSC01409.jpg

I burned old bushings off with gas torch.
Then i cutted them off.

For new bushings you need long bolts (for tensioners) to get them replaced.
also you need about 2" pipe. cut it to half and make right size pieces to prevent control arms bend when you are replacing bushing..

Sorry my bad english..........

I just did lower bushings and springs tonight. I burned out the rubber in the bushings and used a piece of pipe to bang the larger bushing out. I used a 1" socket and banged the other one out. To press back in I used a vise. I used the receiver tube from the ball joint install kit and one of the dics to press against the front of the bushing. Go slow and tap the sides of the control arm and watch the bushing go in. Hard part is getting the old ones out.

To get the lower control arm off is really easy also. Just put a jack under it, remove the lower ball joint nut, use a pickle fork to break the lower ball joint, and lower the jack slow. Stand to the side and use whatever to tap the lower control arm down more. The spring will pop out. I don't care what people say on here, you need a spring compressor to get the sping back in. The autozone one is a death wish waiting to happen. Get the internal spring compressor with the 4 hooks. Autozone doen't have it.

Installing lower control arm

If you use tool i made.
you dont need spring compressors. It was fast and easy....

Wanna give some measurements on it for the rest of us.

Show it off in the frabrication section. It would bee a good idea.

This was best tool to get your lower control arm and spring off.
Hoist your car about 20" and secure with jacks.
Insert this under your inner bushings, take bolts of and lower it down.

View attachment 99152

I burned old bushings off with gas torch.
Then i cutted them off.

For new bushings you need long bolts (for tensioners) to get them replaced.
also you need about 2" pipe. cut it to half and make right size pieces to prevent control arms bend when you are replacing bushing..

Sorry my bad english..........

Thats what the dealer tool looked like .except it was on a tall pump jack.That is the best way to do springs

Tool

Sorry for the measurements, they are in millimeters because they are lot easier for me..

Tool is fast to make and it makes job lot safer and easy.

DSC01425.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01428.jpg
    DSC01428.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 202
Back