You can type here any text you want

Frozen Engine parts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tony Shoaff

I forget what it is called but there is a place here that deep freezes blocks,cranks,brake rotors, pistons,rods. Does this work or not. Frozen parts are they stronger.:confused: :confused: :confused:

I forget what it is called but there is a place here that deep freezes blocks,cranks,brake rotors, pistons,rods. Does this work or not. Frozen parts are they stronger.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Do a search on cryogenics. A lot of racing teams cryo everything.

Cryo????? I would imagine it causes to metal particals to contract and makes them more dense. (just a educated guest)

I had a engine where basicly everything but the block was done . I can't say for sure if it was the cryo treating but it was one of my best running engines . I sold it to a another board member to build a stroker . He hasen't touched it and is still beating on it at the track every weekend . I wanted to go the same route with the stroker , but it just was not in the budget . What really sold me on it was , I went in to talk to the fellow about it and get some prices . sitting on the shop floor where crates of parts and blocks from Honda Canada Race Team waiting to be done . I figure those guys wouldn't be using it unless they knew something about it . Just make sure that any machine work that needs to be done gets done after the process . also check eveything very carefully "dimensionally" before and after the process before you put into service . :)

300below is the place we have got the brake rotors from. That is who I was going to use.

My "local" machinist does both vibratory stress relief and cryo'ing in-house. In theory I see definite advantages to both. In application I've used both on valvetrain parts...

K.

is there any way to tell if your parts had been previously cryroed, my crank and rods had some markings i didnt recognize on them and they were green for some reason

I talked to them today. Kinda costly? $575.00 complete engine assembly in pieces. Crank $130.00, pistons/rods $15.00 each. They also told me the machine work is done first because the cryo adds tensile strength and machine work will take it away. I am thinking about having this done on the motor being built right now.

I had the crank, rods, and cam cryoe'd when I had my motor built three years ago, wasn't too expensive and zero problems so far.
I had it done somewhere in the Houston area, can't remember where though.

I talked to them today. Kinda costly? $575.00 complete engine assembly in pieces. Crank $130.00, pistons/rods $15.00 each. They also told me the machine work is done first because the cryo adds tensile strength and machine work will take it away. I am thinking about having this done on the motor being built right now.

BS !!!!!!!!! I've done a ton of research on this . Cryo treating is not a surface treatment . you only have to cryo something once and it can be machined as many times as you like .It treats the full core of the part . and you also take the chance of it changeing the part dimensionally after it's been Cryo Treated . cryo just does not make something stronger , it relaxes or destresses the part by re-lining molecule structure of the part . also you'll get a better machine finish if you machine a part after it's been Cryo treated .

"Treated metals exhibit increased abrasive wear resistance, increased dimensional stability, increased resistance to chipping, increased toughness, more even hardness, and reduced electrical resistance."

Benefits
Stress relief
Change in density
Increased durability
Dimensional stabilization
Improved wear resistance and tensile strength
Closes grain structure of ferrous metals
Increases lubricity and part stabilization
Controls wear by producing a tough surface
Stress relieves alloys and aluminum for tighter tolerance machining

Read up on it from Engineering sites to full understand it .

Metal Science Services Cryogenic Science

another heads up . also be carefull if you send a part in like a connecting rod . Be sure to seperate the cap from the rod before being treated . don't cryo treat the rod with the cap torqued down . or don't send in a cam with the cam sprocket still bolted to it to be treated . or make sure the piston pins are not in the pistons . that sort of thing . :)

here's a few more quotes about it not wearing off.

"Cryogenic Processing is not a coating. It affects the entire volume of the material. It works synergistically with coatings.

You cannot wear cryogenic processing off a part. It is there for the life of the part unless that part is subjected to such temperatures that it is brought up to the austenization temperatures. Unlike coated tools, a cryogenically treated tool can be sharpened, dressed, or modified. The change brought about by cryogenic processing is permanent."

Ability Engineering Technology, Inc. | Cryogenic Society of America Corporate Sustaining Member

Cryogenic Institute of New England, Inc.

The Resource for Cryogenics / Cryo News / Equipment / Jobs / Publications | Cryogenic Society of America

http://www.nitrofreeze.com/RETP3034Cryo.pdf good article .

I think I will have the crank, billet mains and cam done for this motor. Also why not leave a sprocket on the cam, Won't come off??

This was covered when I was in engineering 20+ years ago. At that time it wasn't known why it worked, only that it made components that were highly stressed more durable.

I'm having it done to the new drive train that's going in my Vette. $575 for the trans and diff.

I think I will have the crank, billet mains and cam done for this motor. Also why not leave a sprocket on the cam, Won't come off??

cam , cam sprocket , bolts will all expand and contract at different rates when going thru the whole process .something may get damaged or it may interfere with the part being done properly. and no part should have stress being applied to it when going thru the process as well . from what I have been told . :)

Gotcha :) I might have to educate 300 below while I am there. I want it right for the money it cost!

cam , cam sprocket , bolts will all expand and contract at different rates when going thru the whole process .something may get damaged or it may interfere with the part being done properly. and no part should have stress being applied to it when going thru the process as well . from what I have been told . :)

It can cause brittle fracture. Just like in the terminator movie when the the T1000 gets shot in the face after being soaked with liquid nitrogen. Liquid N2 is what is used for cryotreating.

Gotcha :) I might have to educate 300 below while I am there. I want it right for the money it cost!

300 Below - Cryogenic processing, cryogenic treatment, deep cryogenic tempering and more.

are these the guys ? they seem to have been doing it for awhile . I would make sure you talk to the man who actually runs it and knows the automotive end of it . alot of places say the demensions do not change after the process . I spoke to a fellow who had a Big Block 502 that had a crank that had changed demensions . and 3 lifters out of 16 that sort of became "swollen" after the process . so be carefull , just don't throw it back into service without checking everything . I got my crank/rods machined after the cryo treatment . I even did the rings , and from what I've read it's really good for them . .

Freeboost.
Who's twin turbo boost kit did you use on the 06 Corvette?? I am thinking about doing that to my Dad's 06 Corvette.

Back