You can type here any text you want

FT Roller Cam Kit with Stock Heads? A few questions...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nick McCardle

Tax return is coming soon and I'd like to buy one of the roller cam kits from Full Throttle. Researching roller cams on the board I keep seeing mention of need to modify the exhaust side and change valves on the head. I was just wondering if anyone could go more in depth with that? I could stick with the stock cam as I'm not trying to have the fastest car and I've heard of it working well into the 10s, but with my new set-up I'm putting together I think a roller cam would be an extremely well fit.....and I would HATE to wipe a lobe. Basically my question is this...can I buy a FT roller cam kit, install it, and have no issues with stock heads? If not, what is necessary exactly? All the posts I've seen have been somewhat vague on the issue.

Eh, when you have questions about a product...call the place that sells it right? Especially if it's good guys like at FT. For anyone else that may wonder about using the stock heads with their roller kit, the answer is this... You need to shorten the guides for the new retainers and stock valves can be used. Even asked about my dilemma between choices in the two grinds I was deciding on :)

...soooooo. which grind didya you go with and why? inquiring minds want to know:D

Going with the 210/215, was between that and the 215/220. Didn't want too much cam, but definitely want a big improvement over stock. I think it will work well with my combo and it's what the guys at FT suggested also, new combo is GT70 P-trim and Pat's 3500 l/u. Cam should be ordered by the end of the week and hope to have the car all together again by the end of the month for some results on everything. It's been through a huge winter overhaul.

If you reuse the stock valve chances are high you will have a smoker at start up(right TurboPete :D ). IMO if you are going to cut the guide down,remove enough material to use a positive seal and chance the valves. It's not that expensive.

If you reuse the stock valve chances are high you will have a smoker at start up(right TurboPete :D ). IMO if you are going to cut the guide down,remove enough material to use a positive seal and change the valves. It's not that expensive.

when i install my roller cam on my TTA do i have to cut those guides down as well?

If you reuse the stock valve chances are high you will have a smoker at start up(right TurboPete :D ). IMO if you are going to cut the guide down,remove enough material to use a positive seal and chance the valves. It's not that expensive.

Any suggestions on a dealer for valves and seals? I can't seem to find any.

Here's a pic of the exhaust guide cut down .200 to give enough retainer to guide clearance for a 212/212 roller with .536 lift with 1.65 rockers. There is still over .100 clearance to contact @ full lift . Coil bind will be the limiting factor not retainer to guide clearance. You cannot use a seal due to the lip on the stock valve however leaving the guide tall, it should still work like stock using the stock exhaust valve. We'll see once the car is running.

Attachments

• 100_0360.jpg
    100_0360.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 215
Russ great pics,my machine shop said if he cut the guide down he would be afraid the factory oil pump would not work on the exhaust side. He recommended a smooth stem valve and a positive seal. aka TTA style exhaust
valve. We have done atleast 6 sets of head this way and no issues so far. But these are street cars not full out racers.:smile:

Russ great pics,my machine shop said if he cut the guide down he would be afraid the factory oil pump would not work on the exhaust side. He recommended a smooth stem valve and a positive seal. aka TTA style exhaust
valve. We have done atleast 6 sets of head this way and no issues so far. But these are street cars not full out racers.:smile:

I completely agree. This is for people that can't afford the new valves after they spent every last dime on the cam kit......I looked at it pretty good, the lip of the stock exhaust valve still goes beyond the top of the guide @ full lift and should still act like a "pump" just like the stock set up. If it's cut all the way down for a seal, it obviously will not..... Like I said, time will tell when this car runs.....I'm pretty confident it'll work.

Besure to let us know if it works,that will be another option for people tight on $$$.

Back