You can type here any text you want

Fuel Cell Installation / Safety rulings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oldtimer

I'm just finishing the installation of my in-trunk mounted fuel cell. Having never run a fuel cell before, I was wanting to know if there is any specific guidelines for NHRA/ IHRA, as far as the vent pipe was concerned.

Does it just vent to anywhere under the car ? I'm running a roll over valve with
a -8 line to outside the trunk. I was wondering if there was mandatory routing of the vent required.

George

Anyone out there ????

Surely one you stage 2 guys knows the answer to this one. :)

George

I would looped the line and let it exit the car from behind the fuel cell. Either use braided or aluminum line. The aluminum probably can be purchased looped already but will be less expensive if you did it yourself.

I used an aeroquip pushlock 90 degree hose end with clear plastic tube purchased from the hardware store. I ran the tube through the trunk floor (used a grommet) and put a small K&N filter on the end of the tube. It just has to vent outside the trunk.

From NHRA 2005 Rulebook:"All fuel tanks must be isolated from the driver's compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to prevent any fuel from entering the driver's compartment. All fuel tanks must have a pressure cap and be vented outside of body."

Attachments

• IM001559.JPG
    IM001559.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 129
Thanks a lot guys.

Dave, thanks for the pic. I have done mine pretty much the way you have done yours. I just was not sure if I had to loop the breather hose and if the breather hose needed to exit to the rear of the car or if it could be just vented below the trunk anywhere.

Why it would need to be looped, I couldn't understand but I've seen a few guys do this. Thought it might be a NHRA/IHRA requirement.

George

Back