Fuel cell venting question

ya if you are doing a frame off restoration, solid steel lines would be fine...but most everyone does braided or pushlock hose

mostly metal lines........

Why don't most guys just run tubing, weather steel, stainless or aluminum???

My plan was to run stainless tubing from the external pump to where the original fuel line fiting is located. What about that?

We did my fuel system a few years ago, and to comply with NHRA you need metal lines, or they must be inside the frame where it passes the flywheel area.

The solution for me was to use 1/2" alum tubing and run it from the rear axle along the 3/8" factory supply line. Just unroll it and push it along the supply line by the "old" fuel filter until it come out into the engine compartment.

Install a compression fitting on both ends and do push lock to the pump and rail. Take the old fuel filter and cut off both fittings on the end. Get a steel -6 AN male fitting and weld it to the Saginaw fittings from the filter.

The welded fittings can then be installed on the 3/8" line and -6 push lock fittings allow it to be used as the return line.

Other than the damn foam from the fuel cell plugging my pre-filter, I have had NO fuel system problems.:biggrin:

Nick. I'd get rid of the compression fittings. Too much chance of leaking. Especially with aluminum lines. In the transmission world you quickly learn about the limitations of compression fittings.

They have not leaked in 5 years Don, and I check them often.:)

I agree for tranny lines with 300 deg. fluid and alum lines, not a good combination with a compression fitting.:eek:

They have not leaked in 5 years Don, and I check them often.:)

I agree for tranny lines with 300 deg. fluid and alum lines, not a good combination with a compression fitting.:eek:

I have never tried compression fittings on aluminum lines for anything. I can only imagine. My experience with compression fittings on steel lines is 50% of the time, they will develop a leak sooner or later. Not a good track record to use on a fuel line. I'm just looking out for your best interest here. I'd hate to hear about a fire. In my world, compression fittings for anything aren't allowed.

I would flare the AL tubing before using compression. If you are careful when doing compression fittings I can see them working for the PSI they are put through (fuel system) but I would never make that decision when it comes to fuel delivery.

Interestingly enough, compression fittings are illegal for use on steel automotive brake lines but compression fittings are the standard for teflon lined braided lines. ?????

I believe the difference is because, on steel line the the brass compression ring seals to the steel line directly and with the teflon line the teflon liner itself is the seal between the metal hose end and the compression ring.

An automotive technician can be held liable for accidents occuring from brake failures if he has used compression fittings on the steel brake lines ( this is a safety issue )

Food for thought !

On another note, I have found that C16 sitting in my fuel cell will evaporate after time ( and lose octane ) but I haven't experienced my braided steel lines leaking at all. Perhaps it's just a matter of time in my case.

For safety reasons alone, I wouldn't use compression fittings in conjunction with hard lines on my fuel system. I might go for years without an issue, but just one fire could be fatal or at least disfiguring.

George

On another note, I have found that C16 sitting in my fuel cell will evaporate after time ( and lose octane ) but I haven't experienced my braided steel lines leaking at all. Perhaps it's just a matter of time in my case.

George

I don't think it's as common as some say. The first car I used them on 15 years ago is still running the same lines. It sits all winter in his garage and no problems.
I've got them all over my present race car and every other one I've owned with no leaks at all.
I've asked a lot of other racers lately and suppliers as well and they all say no leaks through the hose.
I'm not saying it doesn't or can't happen but if it was a common problem I would think I would have run into it or talked to someone else who has.

Maybe we're all just lucky up here. I guess when and if it happens to me or someone I know I'll consider changing over to teflon. In the meantime I'll keep using it.

You Need A Roll Over Vent Tube

How does this help with the vapors? I just have a line plumbed into the top and connected to my factory charcoal canister.
I should probably get one anyway just for safety. I would hope that I don't roll the car.