fuel guage goes to dashes

oneslobuick

I have a digital Instrument panel and the fuel guages flickers between dashes and XX gallons. Where do I start Looking?

The fuel tank sender is the culprit. If the sender is disconnecting (which happens when they wear out) the (--) will display.

The sender uses a flimsy wirewound resistor with a copper contact attached to the float arm. The copper contact wears out, the pivots for the float arm wear out, and the excess play causes the contact to drift away from the wirewound resistor, causing the display to show dashes.

Replace the sender/hanger assembly, or pretty much live with the inaccurate dash display.

Sounds good to me

Who has senders?
Are they different for digital and analog guages?

Thanks GNVenom

There are a few vendors who carry a reproduction analog sender. I've never seen the 120 ohm digital sender in the aftermarket though.

It really doesn't matter, you can use the 90 ohm analog sender. Accuracy will increase as the fuel level decreases. With a full tank, the analog sender will only show maybe 15 or 14 gallons even though the tank holds 16+ gallons.

So to sum up: Use the available analog sender for your turbo car, regardless of what dash option you have.