You can type here any text you want

fuel injected swap into carbed regal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84regal17

i have the motor, transmission, computer and harness i want to know what else do i need .what do i do for the fuel system and do i need to change my hood and would an intercoller fit fine in my 84 regal

What year...

is the engine? 84? 87? The engine and drive train should fit. You probably have the 7.5" rear instead of the 8.5" that comes in the TR. An IC will fit, but you will need an elec. fan in lue of the clutch style. The fuel system will have to be upgraded to a walbro or equivalent and possibly larger fuel lines. I have never done the swap, but there is a lot of help on the board from those who have 1st hand experience. They will probably chiming in w/aid.:biggrin:

yo

nuttin im still running my old 4.1 4 barrel motor but my transmission is slippin so i decided i was gonna swap the whole motor to a v8 but one of my friends was sellin the full swap for 1500 and it was a deal i couldnt pass up so i bought it. when i finish the swap ima post the 4.1 up here to sell it its in perfect condition jus the transmission is bad Beacuse of burning out with 22s

So your removing the 4.1 Carb engine and installing a V8. What V8? You asked about an interccoler, is it turbocharged?

Hope this helps.

nuttin im still running my old 4.1 4 barrel motor but my transmission is slippin so i decided i was gonna swap the whole motor to a v8 but one of my friends was sellin the full swap for 1500 and it was a deal i couldnt pass up so i bought it. when i finish the swap ima post the 4.1 up here to sell it its in perfect condition jus the transmission is bad Beacuse of burning out with 22s

where are you located and how much for the 4.1

A.j.

yo

i said i was gonna go with a v8 but i came across a full gn swap and i just wanna knoe everything i need to put it in my carbed regal and for dr frankenstien shoot me an offer im down in miam fl

Well if you put the SFI intercooled engine in it with out changing the rear gears on 22's you'll just burn the tranny out again. First things first. If you just want the car to move down the road you should just be able to swap the trannys and drive it until it burns out again.

Well if you put the SFI intercooled engine in it with out changing the rear gears on 22's you'll just burn the tranny out again. First things first. If you just want the car to move down the road you should just be able to swap the trannys and drive it until it burns out again.

Mechanically you drop in the engine, trans, and rear. You'll need the proper cables, fluid lines, and coolant hoses and radiator. I hope the set-up came with an engine harness and ECM. All that will plug into itself. The only parts left is wiring it into YOUR car. We've done this on an '83 Malibu, and a few '84-5 carb'd Regals. Our Shop Car was exactly that. You'll need to add relays for the fuel pump and electric fan, too. You can run separate fuses; I went through the factory fuse box, to be neat about it. And about the hood, no you don't need to change it, stay sleeper.

Hope this helps you.

I will clarify what I said. He's got a running engine in the car with the same tranny mounting location so all he'll need to do is remove his current tranny and replace it with the one on the SFI engine. This will allow him to at least drive the car until he burns it out because the gearing isn't correct for 22's.

What does it matter if he has 22's? I dont see how this will hurt the trans.

If you change the tires to such a tall size it will load the tranny more. I did someting simular to my Samari and killed the tranny. The load is different. Just like if you threw a 1K HP engine into the car with out making changes to the tranny. The tranny is the link between the engine and the axle so if you modify one then you need to do a coresponding modification to the other so it will have the stregnth to hold up better. Learned it the hard way on several cars. Ever seen a ring fly out of the back of an axle? Done that once. I even broke a tranny in half in my old Skyhawk once, and it was a beefed up stick.

yo

my motor has a palatic fan under the water pump is that for the radiator or the inter cooler

If you change the tires to such a tall size it will load the tranny more.

You actually think that a change in load via tire height difference is going to hurt the trans? This is definitely not so. A lot of cars came with low 2 numerical rear gears in the mid/late 70's. The biggest load the trans sees is the power going into it. The negative power it sees on deceleration is not chit compared to what it sees via the engines twisting force. Even a 30% change in tire height wont matter. It will simply effect the final drive 30%. The same as swapping out my 3.42 rear for a 2.40's ratio using the same tire height. So i guess if i run a 3.23 rear with 29" slicks my trans is goign to fail from added loading:confused:? On top of that i will have a 2.20 1st/ 1.37 second ratios which will really put the strain on it in low gears. Besides he said 22's which to me means 22" rims. Nothing was said about tire height at all. Tires for 22's will likely still be very close to the same height as what he had on there to begin with.

Back