Fuel Injection vs Carb

Saladin45

There is a darkside
Ok, I've been reading through different sites and been doing some research.

The car I have has no fuel injectors. It's a carburator. Thing is, I don't know whether I should just go all out and buy a larger engine that's fuel injected or keep the current one. What I want to know is this though, is there any real positive versus of owning a fuel injected vehicle versus a Carb?

I've read that fuel injection is better for fuel economy, and its more accurate. But, there are good carburator's too aren't there? I honestly could care less about fuel economy, what I want to know is if it'll hold me back from trying to upgrade the car into something powerful. I keep feeling that it will, and I want to know if anybody has any answer for me here.

I just want to know if I don't have to spend an extra multiple thousand on a new engine or if I can keep this and go toward the other upgrades I want into the vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I appreciate.

-Saladin

Ok, I've been reading through different sites and been doing some research.

The car I have has no fuel injectors. It's a carburator. Thing is, I don't know whether I should just go all out and buy a larger engine that's fuel injected or keep the current one. What I want to know is this though, is there any real positive versus of owning a fuel injected vehicle versus a Carb?

I've read that fuel injection is better for fuel economy, and its more accurate. But, there are good carburator's too aren't there? I honestly could care less about fuel economy, what I want to know is if it'll hold me back from trying to upgrade the car into something powerful. I keep feeling that it will, and I want to know if anybody has any answer for me here.

I just want to know if I don't have to spend an extra multiple thousand on a new engine or if I can keep this and go toward the other upgrades I want into the vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I appreciate.

-Saladin

Tell us about the engine/car/condition you have. Might make a difference in whether or not it would be a worth while conversion.

It is a 3.8ltr 231. It's a Buick Regal and it is in great condition. It only has 50,000 miles on it.

According to NHRA Prostock engine builders there is ZERO gain in power going to EFI. BUT, keep in mind that they all have $10,000 intake manifolds that are specifically fabricated for PEAK power and not transitional power needs. They rev the engines to 8,500+ on the line and let the clutch go and turn it to 11,000+ rpm now days. You will never be able to match the drivabilty of a EFI equipped car with an "affordable" carburator. Carbs do work well, but driveability is the real issue here. The engine you are talking about will never be a power house (unless you turbo it and EFI equip it), so, I would suggest buying a complete EFI set-up off of a 1986-up Buick Century with a 231 V6 and convert your carbed engine to EFI. This will give you the best diveability. There will be significant fabrication needed, though.
You could also buy an Edelbrock Performer manifold and install a 525cfm Demon carb for a little more power and better driveabilty, for alot less hastle. It really depends on what your intended usage is. EFI IS MUCH better for a dailey driver, but it is a hastle to install on a carbed engine. If you have good mechanical skills, it can be done for relatively cheap. If you only have a basic tool set from Harbor Freight Tools, then I would either buy a newer car and just drive it, or go with the Edelbrock 4bbl manifold and either a 525 Demon or Holley 390 cfm carb. The Holley will give great power and economy, too. The problem with reading info on the web, is you really have to consider the intended usage vs. ultimate power. If you want ultimate power from you car, install the largest engine there is, and be done with it. BUT buy stock in Exxon before your first fill-up.:biggrin: Nothing money can't fix. (except Ted Kennedy........it didn't work for him;) ):p

I've been lurking aroung the GN boards for a while. I have many more posts in the thirdgen.org boards (I use a 730 ecm)... I have a 4.1L stroked to 270 cu in and I converted it to EFI. My problem is that my racing body won't allow power adders, but I like the small, light weight, yet powerful package that the Buick provides.

Converting to EFI can be a lot of work. Even more if you start getting picky and really try to get the tune setup perfect. Once you start, it never ends.

What are you hoping to gain from a conversion to EFI? If you are looking for real go-fast, I would start looking at a new engine/system and just do a swap when it is ready.

Good luck

I used to have an 81 Regal with a 231, total dog, of course. I thought about doing a total conversion to a turbo 231, but that is a LOT of work.

Instead, I took an old '70 Buick 350 I had layin around, did a home head port job, bored it, cammed it, etc, and dropped that in there. Absolute piece of cake, in fact I believe that most everything lined up and I was able to use the same brackets off the 231 for power steering, etc. I had to use stiffer front springs for the additional weight up front. (350s weigh just a L I T T L E bit more than a 231 ;) ) But it was really a pretty simple conversion. And it was carbed. Fun driver. My Regal had over 100k miles on it, and while I thought my trans was fine, it lasted about a week behind that 350 before it needed to be rebuilt, LOL!

Granted, it was never going to be as fast as my GN, but that motor was a torque moster that would fry the daylights out of the tires, and was just a lot of fun to kick around in. I'd look around to find a Buick V8 you can drop in there, it'll be cheaper and easier, IMO.

I can tell you from experience that the Buick V6 never ran worth a darn until Buick put EFI on the engine in 1984. The carb'ed versions stalled, vapor-locked and overall just ran terrrible. You could time their 0-60 MPH times with an hourglass! EFI solved 95% of the V6 driveability problems. EFI is the only way to go.

If your 81 Regal needs a boost, a V8 is the best bang for the buck. A BUICK
455 V8 would be my 1st choice. But a healthy 350 works too! They are getting a little harder to find, but they are still out there. The Buick V8's make lots of torque. Just what you need for stoplight fun.

A full turbo conversion to 86-87 spec is a major undertaking (to do it right). You pretty much need to start with a turbo car as a donor to get all the right parts. I just finished a 86 LV2 V8 to 86 LC2 V6 conversion. Fun project!! but lots of work.

Stick with Buick Power!! Good Luck with the project

Dave

If you want better drivability and better gas mileage. If would think about doing a TBI injection on it.

all you would need is a four barrel intake and get a plate for the tbi unit and a inline fuel pump from a VW and call painless wire for a wiring harnes and you have efi on your regal 231.

go to the junk yard and get a TB and ecm from a chevy blazer 4.3L