Fuel Pressure Gauge Rattle

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Anyone have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge make a rattling noise at certain pressure levels? Mine rattles really loud at idle - can't figure out why. It's an Autometer mechanical gauge with one of their isolators. I hate to drop $200 on a new electric gauge but this thing is driving me nuts. Could it be air in the isolator line?

TIA,
Jim

Yeah mine does that .....its one from poston. I usually keep it under the hood unless I'm racing or looking for more attention around town.....it's not really audible from down there.

But if someone knows why I would like to know as well?

Does the needle pulsate and coincide with the rattle? There may be some air in the line. I have a cheapy guage on a refrigeration hose that I hookup to the rail when I want to check the FP. I have a schrader valve in the fitting and bleed it every time I hook it up. Hope this helps.

Eric

Originally posted by JESTER
Does the needle pulsate and coincide with the rattle? There may be some air in the line. I have a cheapy guage on a refrigeration hose that I hookup to the rail when I want to check the FP. I have a schrader valve in the fitting and bleed it every time I hook it up. Hope this helps.

Eric

That's the weird thing - the needle is rock solid. I *think* I can hear it by the FPR, too so it might be the regulator. I have to get a stethescope (read: 5/8" heater hose) to be sure. It does it a lot more since I put the 60# injectors in. I'm getting a new FPR anyway because I don't trust the one I have. I'll try bleeding the isolator line again, too.

Thanks,
Jim