Fuel Pump Controller

Thats interesting. Reminds me of the 03-04 Cobra fuel system which would speed up the pumps and slow them down as needed. That was a not a return style system though. I would be interested in the pump makers thoughts of running the big pumps at 10 volts for extended periods of time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought about it a while back (way back). Then I was bought one as a gift (Aeromotive). I took one look at it and realized there was no way I was going to install and use this damned thing and feel comfortable about it. For me, it just seemed like another gizmo for someone else's application. It seemed so much more simple to have a big-ass pump, regulator, supply and return line. Done.

That was years and years ago. My fuel delivery has never ever been a problem.

Once, the pump blew a fuse for no good reason. Took it out, sent it in, got it back less than 2 weeks later. That was in 2014.

The new blue box can pwm the fuel pump via a solid state relay ifyou have that. Otherwise a controller could work thstyou have posted. A basic waycould be a hobbs switch and a resistor as well

Replacing your return line to something bigger is less then the cost of either of those controllers and far more reliable.

At extreme fuel flow levels, like 1000hp on E85, a returnless fuel system with a PWM controlled pump makes sense. A pump that big running full bore with a return puts a lot of heat into the fuel, and a returnless system fixes that.

Less than that, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Last edited:
I have used the Aeromotive controller for years without any issues. Very reliable and keeps the fuel temp down when using a large pump and a lot of bypass from the regulator. I would not feel comfortable running without it during extended street driving.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far so good with my aeromotive controller.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Has anyone used any of these products and if so do you like it.....thanks in advance.
I want to add a bigger fuel pump without changing the fuel return lines .

https://easyperformance.com/products/fuel-pump-controller-map-sensor-input
https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/billet-fuel-pump-speed-controller/
Rick for whatever its worth GM Powertrain used to vary pump voltage in supercharged cars to extend pump life. I'm sure the data to drive this was a solid state relay driven PWM resident in the calibration.

I always thought running those big external pumps you had to use a controller. If not won't the pump continuously run at full power?

It will and I ran mine like that for a long time with zero issues. I now run a controller just for noise reasons lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lots of the new cars using these and I have seen a couple on Buicks.

Rick for whatever its worth GM Powertrain used to vary pump voltage in supercharged cars to extend pump life. I'm sure the data to drive this was a solid state relay driven PWM resident in the calibration.

That's exactly how they do it in almost everything now. The fuel system is returnless, and the ECM uses a PWM controller to manage the pump and keep the rail pressure where it's supposed to be.

It's just like closed loop boost control, but with the fuel.

The advantages are many. Reduced heating of the fuel means a more dense fuel that provides better cooling of the charge when injected; no return means fewer parts and less weight; PWM control lengthens pump life by reducing heat.