Fuse blowing 20 amp clock cig circuit. 1987 GN

Flturbo6

My first post here however have used this site many times. My problem is the 20 amp clock, cig Fuse blows immediately when inserted. I have removed the cigarette lighter, radio, headlight and dimmer switch. Fuse still blows. Lights, turn signals, Powerseats , power windows, cruise controls all work.
Not working is the dash lights. Door locks, interior lights and under hood light.
Any help will definitely be appreciated

Most common causes;
1) new headliner? Wires screwed into on driver's sunvisor.
2) hood,trunk, or done light short.
3) door lock relay (behind pcm in passenger kick)
4) horn, or harness
5) radio memory

Check those off the top of my head. Hth

Oh yeah...power ant relay... between glove box and pass side of dash

Thanks for the reply, this give me some extra items to check. Will check the relays today and update results.

Got the same identical problem on my '84. It has been in a local shop for a few weeks. They think it could be the printed circuit film behind the dash instrument cluster. I have been chasing this for months. Please pm me or post if you can actually find a cause and i will do the same if the local shop actually fixes things.

Just pulled the dash and disconnected everything except the pc board. Still blowing the fuse. At this point I will be removing the board. Not sure just how to disconnect it as the wires are soldiered in. Will keep you updated.

It might be the cig lighter socket. The contacts at the bottom/back of the socket can ground out. Relatively common and easy to fix. Check there.

Check the dome light. Bad connection was happening to me there, same problem.

Where did you find the bad connection, I did a separate feed to the dome lights and they work fine

cigarette lighter housing can be shorted out. iirc there’s kind of like a spring clip inside that if touching the sides of the case housing will short every time. It’s needs to be rotated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cigarette lighter housing can be shorted out. iirc there’s kind of like a spring clip inside that if touching the sides of the case housing will short every time. It’s needs to be rotated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^^ This.... Try this!

I failed to articulate it as well as he did, sorry. No wonder my kid always says "Huh?" :cool: "OK Dad, I'll figure it out."
But I sure as heck could point and say "Well, there's your problem, right there", and he'd get it. ;)

Hope that's the fix.

Last edited:
My first post here however have used this site many times. My problem is the 20 amp clock, cig Fuse blows immediately when inserted. I have removed the cigarette lighter, radio, headlight and dimmer switch. Fuse still blows. Lights, turn signals, Powerseats , power windows, cruise controls all work.
Not working is the dash lights. Door locks, interior lights and under hood light.
Any help will definitely be appreciated

Thanks for all the help, everything is working as it should. Spent several hours tracking down the problem. Removed the T Tops trim and headliner, cig lighter radio, door switches, instrument cluster, computer and disconnected the large connector by the computer. Did a direct feed to interior lights everything was good. Cleaned the terminals and tightened a couple of ground wires.
Reconnected the battery and replaced each item in reverse order and EVERYTHING WORKS. NO BLOWN FUSES.
DONT KNOW WHAT THE ISSUE WAS BUT ITS OK NOW.