Tail lamp fuse blowing

turbo96max

Guys,

Wanted to see if you had some insight as to what to look at:

Car is doing the following:

1.Headlights turn on with the ignition 90% of the time. So I crank up the car and headlights,tail lights, instrument lights are all on as if i had the headlight switch 'on' but its 'off'

After i turn off the car, they stay on for a minute, then power off.
Some time to time I hear a relay behind the ac controls click and everything turns off at which point i can control everything using the normal headlight / running lights switch.

2. After the car has been running for a while, if I use the turn signals or use the column high beam switch mechanism the 'tail lamp' fuse blows.

Then I have not tail lamps or instrument lights.

3. I unplugged the turn signal switch under by the steering column with another unit and tested manually and the fuse did not blow. this was done when the car was cold. then i plugged the currently installed unit back on , tested turn signals and it did not blow either.

Then I tested the high/low switch in addition to the turn signal, so while cold, once i pulled on the high beam switch the fuse blew.

4. I drove the car to work for about 1 hr after putting in a new fuse, and i didnt mess with the high beam , i tested the turn signals , it the fuse blew. ):

So at this point I want to try:

1. unplugging the connector on the steering column that connects the high/low switch to see if that is causing my issues.

2. The car did develop the auto 'on' light symptom when the steering column had big time play. which i fixxed, and right after the bearings in the column were replaced it started acting up blowing the fuse.

Any idea or wiring diagrams that i can use to trace issue?

Sounds like the wiring from the turn signal stalk is shorting out if I read your troubleshooting correctly.

So I disconnected my hids and fuse doesnt blow. But I still hear a relay behind the ac controls when the headlights stay on and then the relay clicks off.