You can type here any text you want

Fusible link at starter keeps melting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dsmith4994

I went to start my 89 TT/A after sitting all winter and it wouldnt crank over. I put my battery charger/jumper on jump start setting and let it sit for awhile. I went to start it and it didnt turn right over so i held down the key for a bit and then it melted the fusible link at the starter. When i put the car away it was hard starting cold. I would have to hold the key down for a bit when i started it sometimes. The battery might have been low then too but it started it just seemed delayed to catch. I then replaced the battery and fusible link and it melted again when the key was put on accessory before the start side of the keyswitch. I then replace the starter thinking it was the solenoid. This didnt work either. The check engine light doesnt even come on and the lights go dim in the interior and the fusible link starts to melt. I tried a new vats keyswitch. That didnt make any difference. I know there is a short somewhere. I disconnected the starter relay delay and the fuel pump relay and the wire still melted. I pulled out my computer thinking that no check engine light meant that i fried my computer. I took out the computer and it looked fine. No burn circuits or any sign of melting. Does anyone know where my short could be ? I will put a new computer in next and then i will start pulling my wiring harness apart looking for a short. I figured i would post this to see if anyone had this problem and new what i fried when i held the key down with the charger on it. Email me at dsmith4994@aol.com or post a message. I wanna go cruising soon TT/A style.

problem solved

I am surprised none of you all never had the suggestion that my alternator got fried and was the only wire thick enough to short out the fusible link at the starter without actually engaging the starter. Apparently the alternator didnt show up on the wiring diagram in my tt/a service manual. When the key is turned on the alternator circuit is activated. Problem solved............. I cant wait to start working on my emissions problems now...........

Congratulations on finding your problem!

I'm in the dark on your fusable link issues, otherwise I'd have been glad to offer an opinion. :)

Back