FWD head fits our cars- 86 LeSabre- and what other cars have them too?

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
ok-
went to the bone yard today looking for a set of head for BUTCH and maybe a set for myself-
i ran into a '86 delta 88 and a '88 delta 88-- they have a different # than the #'s i was told fit our cars-
yet they have the same valve covers as our cars-

i was told that
GM PART # 25536701
AND CAST # 25536702 (located under valve cover)
are the correct heads for our cars-

so my Q is-- is the 1986 buick lesabre the only car that can have the correct heads for our cars?????

i want to find some heads so i thought i would post this here and in the tech section

any 3.0 engine 85,86,87 have the turbo transam heads, but the cast # is different, but the head is the same. I think a 86 gt grand am has them, as well as the buick skylark with the 3.0..and the oldsmobile(what ever they made with 3.0..( 3.8 is not the same)not

hmmmmm 85 86 87 grand am, skylark, and oldssssss somethin er other with the 3.0 motor---- GRRRRREAT!!! THANK YOU!!

so does any one have the casting #'s off the 3.0 motor??

any help is much appreciated, i need to hit the yard again :)

The talk has been the 7515 heads are the same.If you pop the oil filler cap..you can see the number.

I personally havent compared both...but have seen them bolted to our blocks.The other number thats easy to obtain is the 2428.

The only true TTA head is the 6702....but thats like finding .....aint gonna say it :D :D ...you aint gonna find a set of 6702's.I've looked hard and cant.

And yep...86 appears to be the year.One thing thats I dont know from pixs Ive seen is if the port volumes are the same,and if the deck thickness is the same on both.I figured since the casting numbers were different...there has got to be something different.

HTH

Ive got one somewere that I used to do some porting practice. I will look and see if I still have It

speaking of junkyard scores i had my own this weekend. The guy i bought the motor off of sent me a 233 FP regulator, a no no for my Thrasher chip. So i go to the junkyard(NOT lookin for the regulator) and what do i find? A Buick LeSabre with a 237 regulator on it!!! wahoooo :D

ok so the story sucked...but i'm happy i found the regulator :)

clark fyi

when you hotwire the 340 fuel pump, that 233 regulator has the psi right at 45-
if you have the 237 on it, then it shoots to 48+
keep the 233 for down the road!!

last car i did it to, had a used pump in it, it was 36psi static,... added the 340m pump, and it went to 52psi--
wowsers!! just lettin you know

Sorry to intervene on this one...but you should be putting in an adjustable billet regulator..the stock stuff is just that.And if fuel problems arise..bye bye goes the head gasket or ?????

Johns performance has them for about 100 bucks among other vendors.Its insurance.

Careful how you play with fuel issues on these cars...

Ive seen the difference up close and personal at ANS Performance one day when i was tlkaing to pete about doing my engine ..... the cooling jacket on the outer end of cylinder head (sorry was over a yr ago) , i cant remem which end. On a true tta cyl head it has another casting in the middle of it from the outside edge of the head to the inner section, picture a oval and put a dicider in the middle. On reg 3.8 heads they will have a complete oval and not cut in half as on a true tta head....ill try and get picks if still possible, but i doubt it since its been so long..and i do know he went thru hell to find a true tta head..and sinc eim most likey pulling my engine within the next mth or so i will check mine as well

HEHEHE
with my luck, I will probably be replacing a head gasket in the next month since I have replaced 3 in the last 5,000 miles..............LOL

Next time I have my heads off, I will take tons of pics.

Originally posted by 3.8TransAM
Ive seen the difference up close and personal at ANS Performance one day when i was tlkaing to pete about doing my engine ..... the cooling jacket on the outer end of cylinder head (sorry was over a yr ago) , i cant remem which end. On a true tta cyl head it has another casting in the middle of it from the outside edge of the head to the inner section, picture a oval and put a dicider in the middle. On reg 3.8 heads they will have a complete oval and not cut in half as on a true tta head....ill try and get picks if still possible, but i doubt it since its been so long..and i do know he went thru hell to find a true tta head..and sinc eim most likey pulling my engine within the next mth or so i will check mine as well

The you were looking at the WRONG heads for a TTA.

6702 are the originals, 6515 is a DIRECT replacement. here is a photos of a ported 702 next to a 515 they match perfectly.

http://www.imageevent.com/turbo/89tta