FWD or RWD

Buicksandrail

Are all Series II SC motors FWD? If so and I want to make it RWD, is it as simple as bolting a RWD trans on it and installing the engine 90 degrees to what it is used to?

I want to install it into a sandrail and bolt a VW trans to it.

Thanks,

Trent

I know of one RWD GTP, but it has a TR drivetrain. I don't think the L67 mates to a RWD tranny very easily.

Since you are putting a VW tranny on it, you have to build an adapter plate anyway. Shouldn't make any difference if it starts as a FWD or RWD engine. Least I wouldn't think so, It doesn't have to sit sideways to operate anyway. -Chuck

http://www.carlounge.com/cgi/cars/f....com/cgi/carsbbs/read.php/f/2/i/30540/t/30540

Check this board out. Supposedly the 3800 in the camaro is the N/A version of the SC 3800. Same block, different internals. Don't have a direct confirm on motor mounts/tranny pattern. But if this is true the T-5's, and 4sp Auto's from a Camaro will bolt up.

Unsure of the VSS for the computer but on some Fiero conversions it is noted that the VSS is not used with the stock computers.

For a sand rail the whole assembly (engine/trans) could bolt right into the frame just like the Northstar conversions. Might be easier than doing the VW adapter.

I was wondering if anyone had bolted an SC 3800 to a 2004r Trans. The SC3800 is a cheaper and easily available at the junkyards for a lot less than a Turbo 3.8. Thinking about one for a '65 Buick Skylark that needs a motor/tranny rebuild.

The 3800 Series II engines are of FWD configuration. However, the Camaro 3800 is the same block and heads as the FWD 3800 II N/A engine.

The SC engine has different pistons and rods than the N/A engine as well as the fact that the heads are machined for injector bosses and the crank is balanced differently to compensate for the beefier connecting rods.

So, to answer your question, an SC engine would work in a RWD car as long as you use the mounts, tranny, and exhaust from the Camaro.

The one problem your going to have to deal with is where the SC inlet is, It's going to end up at the back of the motor. And how much torque will the VW tranny take the SC produces a lot of low end torque. Mine dynoed at 415 lb.ft at 2700 RPM at the wheels. You may be better off looking into using a built 4t65e-hd trans as well. depends on the configuration your looking to use.

If you are going RWD, I'd build the trans from the na camaro or for that matter, it will bolt up.

As as the SC inlet at the back of the engine, look into the australian holdens. They run l67's in RWD configuration. If you could get the P/N to their TB/MAF setup, you could go that route.

charles

Why can't he just turn the intake around? Shouldn't be any probs with that that I see.

yeah there's a big one...

the intake is through the supercharger. The one end of the supercharger has the pulley which runs off of the crank. Therefore that end has to align with the crank.....(i.e. front of the engine). The intake is on the other side of the supercharger which would place it at the back of the engine.

If you went transversly(current fwd's) its sideways so its a straight shot to the fender, etc. However, in RWD config, it would be in the firewall....

Charles

Originally posted by 1badTTA
Why can't he just turn the intake around? Shouldn't be any probs with that that I see.

He could use the TB and plate/piping off the back of an early 90's Thunderbird SC to mount it logitudinally. The SC's V-6 is mounted that way and they both have the Eaton M-90 charger. HTH's -Chuck

nope, try again

That is a negatory ghostrider.

This would not work either. The SC supercharger has the outlet on the top of the supercharger.

Since our supercharger sits right on top of the intake manifold, you would need the outlet of the supercharger on the bottom of the SC.

The reason the SC comes out the top is that it is then routed to an intercooler, which the L67 lacks from the factory.

If you wanted to make that work you would have to mount the SC in either a different location, customize the intake manifold, customize plumbing, etc, etc. I actually thought about this at one point to see if i could use it with an air to air IC; however, its more headache.

Originally posted by monte_383
He could use the TB and plate/piping off the back of an early 90's Thunderbird SC to mount it logitudinally. The SC's V-6 is mounted that way and they both have the Eaton M-90 charger. HTH's -Chuck

So I guess it's not a matter of the same supercharger, just upside down in some applications (depending on your view). The parts in question, namely the inlet plate at the back, was what I was referring to that he might want to look into. I really don't know if it will work or not, it was just a more domestic option than the Holdens from OZ. :)
I really didn't know that the GM 3800SC was not intercooled. I had only read that they shared the M-90 with the Fords, and assumed (my first mistake) that the inlet and outlet ports on the case were either the same or close. I know there was a difference between early and later case ports/plates and some internal differences (rotors?) on the T-birds, that make the later models more efficient. Still learning -Chuck

Right. I am not implying you COULD NOT use it. However, it would not be as simple as just bolting it up. You would have to do some custom fabrication to make it fit right and then you'd have to plumb it.

Honestly, I think it might be easier to get a hold of a buddy from the HOlden board and just get that intake ;). It will bolt right up and you know its good [:)]

Charles

Originally posted by monte_383
So I guess it's not a matter of the same supercharger, just upside down in some applications (depending on your view). The parts in question, namely the inlet plate at the back, was what I was referring to that he might want to look into. I really don't know if it will work or not, it was just a more domestic option than the Holdens from OZ. :)
I really didn't know that the GM 3800SC was not intercooled. I had only read that they shared the M-90 with the Fords, and assumed (my first mistake) that the inlet and outlet ports on the case were either the same or close. I know there was a difference between early and later case ports/plates and some internal differences (rotors?) on the T-birds, that make the later models more efficient. Still learning -Chuck