You can type here any text you want

G87 code

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eleanor68

I already know its not a posi, at least I jacked it up a few minutes ago and rotated the wheels. One went forward, and of course the other went opposite. Solves the poor traction problem question. So is the G87 a limited slip, or open, don't know, but it ain't cuttin it. I am thinking of using the powertrax no slip traction system, since they claim replaces the spider gears and no new setting up is required. If I tried an auburn or eaton unit, does either require reshimming or setting up, or are they bolt in as well? I assume the rear is an 8.5, but can it be anything else. It has the round 10 bolt cover, so i know it isn't the 7.5, also is it a 28 spline?

axle tube numbers

ok, i have found the numbers on the front of the pass axle tube..they read 3TJ G 168 what might this indicate...anyone????

no g 80

there is no g 80 shown anywhere i can see, and i assume it would be right there before the g 87 code on the trunk tag

definately go with the powertrax, those things work just awesome. And as said there is no setting up, just pull the axles out 6" and put the powertrax in if i remember right.
Gary

cool

I assume then you have used this unit? it does seem easy enough, only hangup is they recommend for stock type power to the rear wheels though, I plan on some mods of course, cant leave anything alone! i don't plan on slicks though, not a drag racer, maybe a set of small street drags on another set of wheels but thats it, otherwise im going with 275/17's for the rear and deal with the traction, cuz it will be fun burning them anyway

i have one in my tr now works great here is the place i bought mine from cheapest i found Tellico4x4.com if you buy one get a new cross shaft to go with it. order the 28 spline 8.5 gm unit

ok, i have found the numbers on the front of the pass axle tube..they read 3TJ G 168 what might this indicate...anyone????

on an 87 3TP is posi..........3TJ is non posi...........adding an eaton or auburn is not very hard--------remove the carrier and take the ring gear off---------do not touch the pinion-------- trial fit the new carrier before putting the ring gear on--------add shims to each side that total the thickness of the original shims-------test for preload according to the GM manual------adjust shim thickness till its right-----when its close put the ring gear on the posi and measure backlash------move shims from left to right or right to left till the backlash is within spec-----about 0.08" for used gears---------not really too hard.............RC

thanks

all info is helpful. glad to hear a few have the powertrax in their cars. I am going to give it try as well, i like the design, plus if it dont work out, ill be replacing the carrier anyway, so what the hell. I still don't want to get tied up in all the shims, check and recheck, backlash and all that, dont care to, dont need to. thanks again for the replies. when i do go into the powertrax, i'll try and remember to take some pics and post so everyone thinking of one can see it first hand...Jon

all info is helpful. glad to hear a few have the powertrax in their cars. I am going to give it try as well, i like the design, plus if it dont work out, ill be replacing the carrier anyway, so what the hell. I still don't want to get tied up in all the shims, check and recheck, backlash and all that, dont care to, dont need to. thanks again for the replies. when i do go into the powertrax, i'll try and remember to take some pics and post so everyone thinking of one can see it first hand...Jon

Im not sure if powertrax sells different grades for higher or lower horsepower, but i installed one in a low 11 second car about 8-9 years ago and it performed flawlessly.
The only thing is on that particular setup, when you turned the corner the setup would ratchet and make a hell of a noise. Im not sure if they still make that design anymore.

After a few months of street driving and a whole lotta passes, the noise wasnt as bad.
So if you install that setup, and you turn a corner, dont freak out if it makes noise :biggrin:

G80 POSI
G87 8.5 RING GEAR

BW

According to gnttype.org Buick Turbo Regal Option Codes (Regular Production Options - RPO) G87 is the 8.5 inch ring gear. G80 is the limited slip axle. Is G80 on the RPO sticker on the underside of the trunk lid?

then you posted

there is no g 80 shown anywhere i can see, and i assume it would be right there before the g 87 code on the trunk tag

You do realize that since you dont have G80 on the RPO sticker, your car did not come from the factory with a posi right?
And since one tire turns the opposite, then that shows to us its a peg leg.

Also, if you look at the bottom of the pumpkin, a 8.5 rear end has large triangle / flat pieces right below the rear end cover, and the 7.5 rear end has fangs that come out.

This is the 7.5 http://tech.oldsgmail.com/images/7_5inchrear.jpg

This thread explains it Differences Between The 7.5" and 8.5" Rear Ends - OldsPower.com

noises

on that earlier model powertrax, might have been the lock right system, which is noted to make some noise on the street, but in comparison to the other lockers out there was pretty quiet. It was their original design I believe, and next best thing to a spool. The powertrax traction system is a newer design intended for quieter street use, but I don't know the horsepower it can handle compared to the original lock right. Either way, I'll be getting one of them into the car soon, cannot have the one wheel peel thing going on here.

good there

well at least my rear end has the flanges coming out, not the fangs, so thats a plus. No G80 code, but again the powertrax unit can easily fix that.

Don't quote me on this, but if I remember right they are rated at 500ft-lbs of torque-Won't take much for a buick to hit that:biggrin:

yeah

your right sure wont take much. I wonder if that rating is for use considering slicks as well. Im mainly running street tires though, i dont drag race, so might not be much of an issue anyway, im sure the street tires would let loose well before that unit failed. maybe even with a set of those drag radials might still be ok...

on that earlier model powertrax, might have been the lock right system, which is noted to make some noise on the street, but in comparison to the other lockers out there was pretty quiet. It was their original design I believe, and next best thing to a spool. The powertrax traction system is a newer design intended for quieter street use, but I don't know the horsepower it can handle compared to the original lock right. Either way, I'll be getting one of them into the car soon, cannot have the one wheel peel thing going on here.

Excellent :) Learn something new everyday, glad they toned down the noise:eek:

Why not just put a spool in it if your gonna run radials all the time?

BW

harsh

i would think a spool would be a bit harsh on a street car, especially when doing sharp turns or parking somewhere tight, not sure how the rear end would react.

Back