gas smell in oil

turbobuick87gn

still learning
what does it mean if my oil smells likes gas. just need to know where to go from here. do i have blow by...should i start tearing it apart or what..:confused:

any help will be appreciated...

Depends on how gassy it smells really. Mine used to smell like gas just tad from running extremely rich.

its pretty bad.. now it also smokes when i start it up...this all just happened after going to the track last week...i'm wondering if i blew something...i saw 11 degrees of knock bu i got out of it..i'm jut wondering if i should just start rebuilding..

also when i tank my gas cap off it has a LOT of pressure will that mess anything up..

my car only shows like 450 o2 at idle so i thinks it running lean at idle and i can't find any leaks or anythings...

Take the dipstick out and try to light it on fire. Could be excessive blow-by, fouled plugs, crappy wires........Dont tear it apart until it needs to be torn apart. How does it run? Did you do any tune-up lately? Start with the simple stuff. Also a leak down test would tell you how bad the rings are.

umm i havn't pulled the plugs yet..when i go to start it up it stumbles right away then it runs pretty good..

has new ignition coil.plugs abotu 2 months old..wires are about 2 years old..
i just don't like has all of it sudden it smokes now.
i guess this weekend i'll put some new plugs it in and get some wires and see how that helps. and do a compression test.

compression test will not tell you if it's blowing past your rings into the crankcase. Could have been running too rich and washed the rings, or knock shook them good. A leakdown test would be the way to go, listen to see if you hear air in the tailpipes and out the valve covers while you are doing the test.

also, some places have a little camera that fits down the spark plug hole that can look at those pistons.

yeah my buddy has one might have to borrow it...i've been looking at buying one just for the buick..haha..i guess i knew i was going to break something...:biggrin:

Gas in the oil is from blow-by. It could be from running rich, but it's doubtful. Something would have to be really F-ed up with the chip or injectors to be dumping enough fuel to contaminate the oil.

If you're running alot of boost on a high mile engine I can see this happening for sure.

Do a compression test at the very least. A leak down test would be an option too.

i'm running brand new 60lb injectors and 20 pounds of boost on a 118k engine with only some new valve springs...so i guess i'll be doing a leak down test sunday..

i hope its not blown..i guess i'll have to get someone to tune it for me.. i can't seem to figure these things out..and if it is i guess i'll get the new motor quicker than i though...:(

lets not overlook things, remember that pcv valve is in charge of removing blowby gases, take it out and check it if is stuck, if u shake it and hear something, its ok.

anyone around augusta,ga could come and check out the car with me and see what they think...please let me know

Nope it not hard to do.Its gonna be on the passenger side of the intake manifold.You can't miss it your vaccum lines will go to it.Just pop it out and put a new one in.

well i guess i'm going to be putting a motor in the car.. i put air to the number 6 and i have coming through the valve covers.. so i guess i have to much blowby.

so here is my next question.. should i put a forged crank,rods and piston, or should i just keep factory crank and rods and just put forged pistons in it...

Gas tank pressure!

"also when i tank my gas cap off it has a LOT of pressure will that mess anything up.."

I had the same thing happen on my car. There are three lines going to the fuel tank. One is 1/4" which is the fuel return line, the 3/8" line which is the fuel supply line and the 5/16" line which goes from the fuel tank to the fuel vapor canister. Most likely the line to the fuel tank is clogged or the small orifice in the tank is clogged. You might need to blow the line out and possibly take the fuel hanger assy out and check the orifice to make sure it is not plugged.:)