You can type here any text you want

Gauging interest, Hydroboost install write up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I called earlier this week to check the status of my hoses/filter/reservoir and the nice lady told me that their hose supplier was out of one of the fittings and expected to get the hoses done later this week and shipped by early next week. She said I was third on her list to get 'em so hopefully they'll get here soon.

Hydroboost Makes The Car Faster

Hi Guys! Well, I am excited to hear you guys getting on board with the Hydroboost. I started on here 3 years ago, and met with some stiff resistance. 3 years! Yes, we did have some back orders on our super hose set. I designed that banjo hose fitting, and a really clean way to be able to accomodate hoses for any vehicle. The stainless returns do add some expense and work, but worth it. When we first got into the hose thing, we supplied standard rubber return hoses. Customers complained that the combo of SS hoses and rubber didn't match. A lot of time, money, and more time went into the hose design we use. We tried using standard power steering hoses and cutting off the ends,..no good. The company who copies us, has been enjoined by Bosch, legally, to cease and desist from using the name "HYDROBOOST" in any of their literature, or website. P.B.S. is the only Authorized Aftermarket Distributor of Bosch's new power brake units in the U.S. Bosch is no small potatoes. They checked out ol' PowerBrakeBob" before allowing that contract. Hydratech does not buy direct from Bosch. They buy surplus units from an exporter, and modify them. They don't offer the aluminum master we have, because I designed ours. Their hose sets are very generic. They use standard "elbow" hose ends, precut, and rubber type returns. It's quick and dirty. If you check out the hose fittings in Mr Dreamcar's photos, you would see the difference. We do offer the rubber return type hose sets, for those who want to save a little money. It's just your choice. Power Brake Service has been in business since 1950. A lot of history and experience here. Our friends at Hydratech are not in the power brake business, and have little or no experience in rebuilding or modifying ANY power brake system. They do not offer powder coating or chrome, because they can't. They don't take them apart. They have some chrome "slipcover" for the accumulator for $70.00 as their only dress-up. Anyway, our inventories were low, with the slow sales this winter, as everywhere else. We will be building up the inventories of the hose sets, and even building up units in powder coat colors, ready to ship. Normally, when we do the powder coats, one at a time, it takes two weeks for the disassembly, trip to powdercoat, wait there, bring 'em back, hone, polish, and reassemble, before they can be sent out. My goal is that everyone here who ordered one, will be very pleased. I want you to feel that you made a wise investment, as Mr. Dreamcar feels he has, and that the safety, and speed, factor brings a lot of satisfaction to you. We have been reaching out to the Jeep market, street rod, and muscle car guys with very satisfied, happy people. (Even the wives)

I just called Jackson and got a tracking number, the SS lines should be here Wed (exactly a week after the Hydraboost/Master package). I'm patient so it doesn't bother me. I'll look to do the install at the end of this week.

Doug D

Have fun actually enjoyed the install 1st time ever doing a brake system like that. It will stop you and you don't have to worry about having a glove box full of 30 amp fuses. Oh yeah used a Zipsaw to enlarge hole in firewall you have to enlarge it about a 1/4" well I ended up with the larger unit. Just take your time and not try to take too much metal off at a time or you will bind the tungsten carbide bit and go thru a few like I did. Zip smooth slowly and don't Zag or the cutter will snap.

I was under the impression that this was direct fit? Can you chime in here Powerbrake bob??

My understanding is that you just have to open up the hole a tad where the Hydroboost mounts into the firewall. I believe they also offer a different version with a mounting bracket that eliminates the need to enlarge the opening.....but then there is more under-dash unbolting/bolting that I didn't want to mess with. A few minutes with a die grinder seemed like a better option.

Hydroboost Conversion

We have been using a 2 bolt mounting plate, that is retained by a 2 3/8" square nut. You would reuse the original Powermaster angle plate, but it needs a little opening for the square nut. A little opening with a die grinder/rotary burr is all that's needed. Everything else is a bolt on.

We have been using a 2 bolt mounting plate, that is retained by a 2 3/8" square nut. You would reuse the original Powermaster angle plate, but it needs a little opening for the square nut. A little opening with a die grinder/rotary burr is all that's needed. Everything else is a bolt on.

So I would assume you don't have any kits that DON't require grinding? I'd rather do the work under the dash.

I had NO grinding issues. I was able to obtain an 85 unit.

DougsfastZ, I'm the expert at being able to run into every pitfall that can be encountered. I ran across many problems most people would never encounter. PM me & I'll try to help you with your write up.

I just recieved the hose kit. I'll be looking to install this weekend.

Roger, thanks I'll be in touch.

Doug D

Cool, looking forward to the write up since I'll be installing mine shortly as well.

I just got my hose kit too.......now I'm only waiting for the reservoir/filter. At least I can get it 95% installed while waiting for the rest.

I didn't get a filter. When I talked to Bob, it didn't even come up. I read his instructions the other night and it says that I have to clean the whole system before installing so that debris won't hang up some valve that could hurt the HB.

Do I need a filter?

Doug D

Whether you "need" it or not I don't know. I do know that I didn't want to clean the whole system......I'll flush it out but that's about it (lazy factor). The filter came up in someone's post in the big Hydroboost thread and when I talked to Bob about it he said that if I didn't want to clean out the system that running a filter is recommended.

BTW....it says in my instructions right after the part about the valve sticking and cleaning the system to run a filter in the return line if cleaning the system isn't done.

Don't want to tease you fellas too much, but here is a pic of my new chrome and polished aluminum master Hydroboost from Power Brake Service. I have a polished reservoir and an aluminum filter coming yet, but you can admire what I did get so far. Won't be doing the install till a little later in the month, but I think it will look great. The polishing and detail are near perfect.

Attachments

• DSC00520 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00520 (Medium).JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00516 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00516 (Medium).JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00517 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00517 (Medium).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 225
That looks great! It would look out of place in my engine compartment though......it's clean but relatively bling free!

I hope the reservoirs and filters come in soon.....I'm waiting on 'em as well!

That looks great! It would look out of place in my engine compartment though......it's clean but relatively bling free!

I hope the reservoirs and filters come in soon.....I'm waiting on 'em as well!

My engine is pretty blingy ( if that's a word ). I have plenty of chrome and polished aluminum to go with it.

Attachments

• 2761313700049674534dFNnTh_ph[1].jpg
    2761313700049674534dFNnTh_ph[1].jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 181
Don't want to tease you fellas too much, but here is a pic of my new chrome and polished aluminum master Hydroboost from Power Brake Service. I have a polished reservoir and an aluminum filter coming yet, but you can admire what I did get so far. Won't be doing the install till a little later in the month, but I think it will look great. The polishing and detail are near perfect.

Did the those braided lines come unterminated ?

Cool...

Yes. Exactly as you see them. I believe Bob had mentioned in an earlier thread that they come that way.

Actually it's better that way so u can have them custom cut to ur car. Thanx.

Back