You can type here any text you want

Gen 7 distributor setup problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
Guys the car is running with the factory balancer, crank sensor and msd distributor. However with the timing locked to 15 degrees on the dfi screen i am reading 37 degrees on the balancer. The crank offset is set to 10 degree's. What is going on here?

the crank signal is set to OC lt1 hall effect, and signal rising
the cam is set to inductive pickup edge trigger rising
the ouput signal is set to points and signal falling

I am thinking i have one of these settings wrong or is my balancer ring that far out of sync??????????????

I guess we are using the factory gn sensor as a hall effect and according to the gen 7 chart i should have the crank, falling, cam falling, and spark output rising. But the settings for the orginall buick dis setup are rising rising, falling. This is very confusiing i must say :confused:

If i put the settings to crank falling cam falling and output rising, it runs like crap. If i set the crank offset to 0 degrees it, it runs like crap. So it looks like i am gonna pull the balancer off and/or try another one.

Found out the correct settings are crank falling, cam falling and ouput rising. However, if i set it that way my timing is now at 60+ on the balancer, with the offset at 10 and base timing locked to zero,and it sounds like a diesel at idle. Still trying to make some progress though. :eek:

I think the Buick crank sensor should be rising edge trigger. Try that with a 10 degree offset. I have a vague recollection of the presets in calmap being incorrect.

I will try it again tomorrow.

The stock balancer should have the rising edge at 10 BTDC compression. You would want your offset to be 10. Double check your interrupter ring and make sure it is near the stock setup. I hear some have moved on the hub.

Where do you have your Cam pickup set?

The cam is set to 60 btdc compression stroke. Now, think of this. The buick gn is 10 bdtc rising on the balancer, but the sensor is normally "high" and goes" low "when the reluctor is in the sensor. So it could mean that the output has already fallen to zero at 10 btdc, and when the sensor hits the open window the signal rises, which would be 40 degree's later, causing the timing to be 40 degree's different from rising to the falling settings.

Do you need to change your settings on the crank sensor? I think the signal falls when the interrupter ring goes through the sensor.

I have tried a few different settings, it all comes down to my balancer being out as each setting is either 25 degrees out each way.

WEll yes, but actually it makes it worse on the way its set up presently by giving me less timing. If i don't physcically move the pointer im stuck basically.

If the engine is odd-fire the sparkplug wires are on the wrong terminal at the cap. Move them one hole and start over. The timing error is the difference of the offset in the crank pins. I've seen some good engines busted by this. When the timing can be set by moving the distributor the other side of the engine is advanced by the offset amount. I know this can happen with a distributor trigger but EFI gives me a headache thinking about it.

I re-read your threads and posts on this matter and think this: The cam position sensor I understand is now in the distributor? I think it is one cylinder out of position and the ignition firing intervals are out of phase with the crank. I just dealt with this problem on a V-8. Of course, the timing of the ignition was o-k but the injector timing was 90 deg. early. The UHC's were high and it burbled at a light load.

If you have a two-channel scope reference the #1 ignition event to the CPS signal.

If your engine isn't an odd-fire........nevermind......

Its even fire, but thanks for your ideas.

Norb

You're welcome.

No pun intended, I find it odd that the timing error is nearly the same as the offset on the crank pins that makes it an even fire engine.

Why can't you use the original cam sensor and just use the distributor to distribute?

Oops, sorry. I didn't know the cam pos. sensor was in the dist. hole originally.

V6RACER said:
gimme a call tomorrow I would like to talk this over with you.

I am suposed to call you? or tuner?

Hi Norbs,

Not me, V6RACER is asking you to call him. Or, have you got it figured out?

Back