You can type here any text you want

Gen 7 distributor setup problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Hi Norbs,
Did you get it figured out? The Accel instructions say something about setting the cam sensor to 25 deg. ATDC cylinder # 1 and that it is the OEM factory adjustment.
Can you help me with this? Do you have an idea why an Accel Gen7 would loose its ability to activate the outputs for the fan relays, shift light, etc? Are the drivers for those functions readily accessed and replaced in the ECM or is there a secret fuse somewhere?

Thats for using the c3 dis igntion system, ignore it if your using a distributor. The signals get processed differently in the module. Your drivers are dead? There should be short circuit protection built in and go into trouble mode. YOu have to clear the trouble codes. The output is only limited to about 500 MA max on the earlier ecu;s. The driver should be shut off when going to overcurrent automatically. Not sure if there is a mini fuse in the box.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Did you get the timing figured out?

I checked for trouble codes and found none. This happened in concert with a dead overnight battery and the new battery installation, battery charger, etc. The car has another battery (that did not go dead) for the stereo that is isolated with a regular diode gizmo intended for that. I am wondering if Mr. reverse polarity came to the party? It was a poor way to start the day on the dyno. It (the fan output) worked intermittently before it quit altogether. Last night, I tried to use the #2 fan/shift light function and find it DOA also. Every thing else seems to work fine. Seems odd that two things that are switch to ground functions failed when one of them wasn't connected to anything.

Nope the timing is out 25 degrees but ive compensated for it for now until i go to a crank trigger on a bhj balancer. SOund like you messed up the box, how did you do the reverse polarity thing?

I don't know that the rev-pol occured. I am just speculating that because the car has another battery and the computer was dis- and re- connected in the new batt. install that it could have occured. The car has big caps. for the stereo, too.

Are the drivers easily accessed if I open the box and look for them? I've never looked in the Gen7 can, but I have repaired similar problems in OEM and MSD stuff.

You can open it and slide out the board. Everything is SMD and micoscopic, so that could be a problem. You would have to trace the pinouts to the traces on the board until you get to something that looks like a transistor. I never investiagted that close yet. I think the caps might have done you in.

Back