Gen II or Not?

sounds like the gen II is the way to go. I'd like to get the car running right before swapping the MAF and upgrading to the gen II.. But I don't want to buy an '86 MAF and THEN an LT1. so........

Try and find someone close to you that can lend you an 86/87 maf to confirm what the problem is. I'm betting it's because you're running a maf that doesn't match your ECM.

Try and find someone close to you that can lend you an 86/87 maf to confirm what the problem is. I'm betting it's because you're running a maf that doesn't match your ECM.

i'm thinking the same thing. unfortunately, i don't know of ANYONE in my area that would have such a part. i think there may be ONE TR guy in my town but i have no way to get ahold of him. even if i could.. "hey.. could you loan a complete stranger a MAF real quick? i promise to give it back". LOL

not sure how well that would go over. :)

looks like i'll be forking out cash for an AC Delco MAF. then i'll just eat the cost when i swap to the LT1/gen 2 later. lame.

i'm thinking the same thing. unfortunately, i don't know of ANYONE in my area that would have such a part. i think there may be ONE TR guy in my town but i have no way to get ahold of him. even if i could.. "hey.. could you loan a complete stranger a MAF real quick? i promise to give it back". LOL

not sure how well that would go over. :)

looks like i'll be forking out cash for an AC Delco MAF. then i'll just eat the cost when i swap to the LT1/gen 2 later. lame.

my car has some mods done to it. how would i know if i have an 84/85 maf or an 86/87??

Kaj, Is your car an 86/87/ or a 84/84 which engine? I was under the impression it was a non intercooled TR.

How quick do you intend to go? Sounds like your car could be anywhere from 12's to low 11's on race gas with traction. If that's where you want to stay then as others have said stay with what you have and learn to tune it. If you intend on going into the 10's and maybe to low 10's or quicker you will probably want an aftermarket system like the Megasquirt or FAST, so you might as well get that now and learn to tune it as you make the car quicker. You will have more adjustability and changes are easier. (Yes, lots of people have gone quicker than 10.50 on a chip but for the average tuner I think it's safer and faster and more consistent to change over somewhere in the 10's.)

I would like to see the car go 11.99 on DR's. I've got a 9sec, and 2 10sec cars already.

I see most people are commenting on the GenII's ability to use the WB02 feedback, but Wouldn't I be able to do the exact same thing with the TT 6.1 chip? It seems like they are claiming WB control, at least at WOT. My thinking is that adding the GenII on top of a TT 6.1 chip with PowerLogger would be like adding a tuner on top of a tuner.

I guess what i'm wondering is what will the GenII do better than a Gen I and 6.1 chip and Powerlogger?

As is stands now, I have both the Gen II and the Gen 1 (that needs repair) here and haven't ordered the chip yet. I will definitely be adding alky to the car. I wouldn't think of running it without alky installed and working. I also already have an AEM WB02 that I was going to donate to the Buick.

Thanks a TON for the great responses!!! I appreciate you guys being receptive to a n00b like me. :D

Another bit of info....

I was digging through my paperwork that came with the car. The chip in the car now is an Extender Extreme G.
Part Number: GW0X7A0G
Injector size: 60
Boost Level: 7

Anyone think I should stick with this set up? Or just go for the TT 6.1 chip?

The Extreme G is what is usually run the the GENII so I'm assuming the GENII is installed and working??? I don't think that was made clear.

If you've already got the GENII and Extreme G chip that swapping it out for something else would be money wasted and in the case of downgrading to a regular translator, a step backwards.

Sorry about that. The Gen II is not installed. The injectors, chip, and maf are though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Then I also must assume that the car isn't up and running yet, since you have an aftermarket maf, but no translator hooked up. Since you already own all the good parts, just install the GENII and run with it.

You got it! It barely runs well enough to move around my garage. Actually starts very well and idles decent, minus the fuel smoke.

Thanks a TON for the advise!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Gen II and Zeitronix WB02 installed. Doesn't run anymore. lol

Excellent, our work here is done :biggrin:. Unfortunately I can't help with the GenII stuff, sorry. I'm sure some others will be able to get you straighted out, though.

got it running pretty dang good last night. Idle and no-load rev was good. Drove it into town to get some fresh 93 in the tank. Car drives good a low load, but once it goes to about 0 vac/boost it feels like the fuel shuts off. Need to work on that end of it a lot more.

But i'm headed in the right direction I think. :D

got it running pretty dang good last night. Idle and no-load rev was good. Drove it into town to get some fresh 93 in the tank. Car drives good a low load, but once it goes to about 0 vac/boost it feels like the fuel shuts off. Need to work on that end of it a lot more.

But i'm headed in the right direction I think. :D

What chip?

Writre down all your Gen2 settings and post them up.

Give us a little more info about your combo. Maybe put a few more details in your sig. ;)