Georgia Sales Tax

camino70

I am not sure how other states do it, but Georgia has sales tax rates differing from county to county. It has been explained to me that sales tax is imposed at the county rate in which the transaction takes or where the vehicle is delivered. I purchased my vehicle in a 7% tax county, but live in a 5%. I had to sign a paper stating it was delivered to my county. My sister-in-law recently purchased a new vehicle with the opposite scenario, vehicle in 5% (took delivery there) and lives in a 7%. Is this correct? With the neccessity of me signing a paper stating where delivery takes place, reassures my thinking, but my sister-in-law paid tax on where she lives, not where she took delivery. Did the dealer take her 2%? Anybody know where I can find answers in writing?

TIA,
Ron

There might be something on Clark Howard's website about it..........just a thought.

Originally posted by camino70
I am not sure how other states do it, but Georgia has sales tax rates differing from county to county. It has been explained to me that sales tax is imposed at the county rate in which the transaction takes or where the vehicle is delivered. I purchased my vehicle in a 7% tax county, but live in a 5%. I had to sign a paper stating it was delivered to my county. My sister-in-law recently purchased a new vehicle with the opposite scenario, vehicle in 5% (took delivery there) and lives in a 7%. Is this correct? With the neccessity of me signing a paper stating where delivery takes place, reassures my thinking, but my sister-in-law paid tax on where she lives, not where she took delivery. Did the dealer take her 2%? Anybody know where I can find answers in writing?

TIA,
Ron

The rate is where you live :)

If it is where you live, why did I have to sign my name stating they delivered it to my home in Cobb County? I just don't get it.

wierd-
years ago i purchased a S-10 with a small block in it from a rural county. once i went to the DMV she specifically asked what county the money exchanged hands and where the title was signed-
that truck was alot of fun, sold it once i had my first 1986 turbo regal-

BW