You can type here any text you want

Glass blasting hood results

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

corkatoa

In case anybody was wondering about this process for paint removal...

My hood had a huge crack in the paint and when I started scraping, the surface rust never ended!! So I took it to a guy and had it glass blasted. Here are the results. (in between the pics of it bare and the priming, I took it to the local car wash and spent $10 pressure washing the media out of the bracing)

Wasn't cheap at $300(cdn), but saved me a lot of sanding. I block sanded the top with 220 for about 5 minutes and primed. It took the guy 2 1/2 hours. He said it was the thickest paint he had ever seen.

IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG

Looks good! Now, do yourself a favor and toss those rattle cans in the garbage. That stuff never really cures and any good 2k automotive paint over that as a substrate is asking for trouble...

I know, but it has been raining here for days, humidity is over 90%at all times. Didnt know what else to do at the time.
I live in the middle of nowhere and it is all I could grab at the only parts place we have. Won't be painted for another year probably. Removing that skiff of primer will be a lot easier than the 4 layers of paint that were on it.

Live and learn. Won't ever be a show car. Except for the doors!! (thanks again m233roller!!)

FYI I am contemplating putting my 85 engine into an s10.

Last edited:
A suggestion: I/we use a product called "A Must For Rust". Get it at Lowes, HD, etc. I just bought a bottle for $8.
Once the surface is naked/clean, I mist a very lite coat on the part, scrub it in w/ a Scotch pad, let it dry. Do not let it puddle up.!
Clean surfaces will look a light gray color, and any rust pits will be black. The black is rust that's been converted.
It will protect the surface for up to a yr, in a dry storage.
When ready to prime, I hit it w/ the da/80 grit, degrease, prime. {Comes off as a dust.}
Actually, the product is a mild % of phosphoric acid.

Back