You can type here any text you want

gm dex cool

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
That stuff is garbage.
There are law suites pending I believe w/the use of Dexcol.

Type it in on a search engine like google.

I bought a new 97 Silverado, it had 29,000 miles on it & the fliud looked like mud. This is the 100,000 mile coolant, I know for sure my coolant system could not make it to 100,000 miles w/that coolant.

It has corroded intake fittings,on my truck & on others friends truck,same crap.

Then I hear of people running it w/no problems.

IMO,stay away from it,the old green Prestone is fine.

I believe the law suit is done.My budddy got $600.00 a year ago.Thats if you filed with the suit.I did my 3.1 twice.The second time I used the permadry gaskets so that problem is fixed. Got rid of the dex cool though. You got to love when you pull the intake off of a 20,000 mile car and see the mung in the coolant passages. I would go with the green.Why reinvent the wheel like Gm did with dex

I've always wondered if peoples issues with the dexacool is from some tech at a fast oil change place topping it off with a standard coolant. I've heard that mixing dexacool with anything else causes all these problems. I've seen/bought used cars with it. Some had low mileage and the dexacool looked like crap and some with high mileage and the stuff looked new. I just did an engine change over the weekend in a 2000 pontiac gtp. It was never serviced and the dexacool looked good (too bad the owner ventilated a piston. Lol)

I found my own answer, advance auto has Peak in concentrated green still. Picked 2 of these up yesterday for $12.49 each

I've always wondered if peoples issues with the dexacool is from some tech at a fast oil change place topping it off with a standard coolant. I've heard that mixing dexacool with anything else causes all these problems. I've seen/bought used cars with it. Some had low mileage and the dexacool looked like crap and some with high mileage and the stuff looked new. I just did an engine change over the weekend in a 2000 pontiac gtp. It was never serviced and the dexacool looked good (too bad the owner ventilated a piston. Lol)

the problem with dexcool happens only when air is allowed to get into the system and the temp rises above about 190------causes a breakdown resulting in MUD--------its easy to demonstrate in a beaker with a bunsen burner------if there is no air there is no mud!!!-------problem is that most folks just fill the radiator and count on the overflow system to finally remove all the air-unfortunatelly this never really gets all the air out------a small amount of air always remains------many new cars have bleeder ports at the highest point in the cooling system to eliminate this problem----GN's don't----if the system is filled with a vacuum extraction filler (costly and bothersome) like Snap-On and other companies make (and the car factories use) there will never be a problem with dexcool-------i use it in some of my nicer cars that sit for years and see little use but for normal drivers i don't-------as for adding standard coolant to dexcool they are compatible------BUT it creates one problem------even a small amount of standard coolant will reduce the optimum life expectancy of the dexcool to that of standard coolant, ie from 5 years to 1--------RC

the problem with dexcool happens only when air is allowed to get into the system and the temp rises above about 190------causes a breakdown resulting in MUD--------its easy to demonstrate in a beaker with a bunsen burner------if there is no air there is no mud!!!-------problem is that most folks just fill the radiator and count on the overflow system to finally remove all the air-unfortunatelly this never really gets all the air out------a small amount of air always remains------many new cars have bleeder ports at the highest point in the cooling system to eliminate this problem----GN's don't----if the system is filled with a vacuum extraction filler (costly and bothersome) like Snap-On and other companies make (and the car factories use) there will never be a problem with dexcool-------i use it in some of my nicer cars that sit for years and see little use but for normal drivers i don't-------as for adding standard coolant to dexcool they are compatible------BUT it creates one problem------even a small amount of standard coolant will reduce the optimum life expectancy of the dexcool to that of standard coolant, ie from 5 years to 1--------RC

Excellent info Richard. Thanks. The info you just posted is basically what a GM rep told me years ago and I trust you more than a factory guy.:biggrin:

Back