You can type here any text you want

GN Engine Builder in Ohio/surrounding states?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JustABuick

Hey all, sorry, but this is a re-post from the regional section... (maybe I'll get more hits in this section). I did a search, and uncovered (of course) Weber, which I am considering. I also spoke to a member near Dayton, and he recommended a place called Dayton Crankshaft. Does anyone have any positive/negative experience with these places? I've ready mostly negative things about Weber from searches on this forum. Know of any other good ones? I'm taking my time with the build, so I'm not really on a "budget", but would still like to keep the costs as low as possible. I'm just not sure if I need to go as all out as what Weber builds. My goal is a reliable driver, primarily street use, maybe 2 or 3 trips to the track for "street fights" or test and tunes (mid-high 11s) a year. If reliability is sacrificed for 11 second ETs, I am more than willing to settle for 12s. I just want to be able to drive and enjoy the car, it is not a race car.

Thanks, Kelly

The car does have Alky, installed by previous owner, it seems as if the ETs are realistic without much internal work, but I purchased the car as a roller, so the engine block and parts I currently have will need machined and assembled.

I think I heard Lonnie Diers builds motors as well as trannies, so maybe someone else could verify that..He is out of Cinn...But seeing you purchased the car as a roller is the motor #'s matching to the car?? Even if it is you could set that motor aside and buy a stock unopened motor and very easily get the times your looking for and would save alot of money...Of course this is provided you make sure you get a good motor....Just a money savings option....

Your goal is obtainable with a stock engine with various bolt-ons, so you would not have the need for a purpose built motor.

I have been very pleased with the engine that Weber built for me. Before, during, and after the build Brian and Dave were there to answer any questions I had. Last year I ran a 10.4 @ 128 on a very rich tune, hopefully I'll make it out to the track soon and best that ET.

I also know that Lee Thompson has 4 200r4 transmissions ready to go, that would fit the bill for your needs. He is located in Bowling Green, KY. Feel free to contact me if interested and I'll get you his number.

Last I heard Lonnie is no longer in the Cinci area...? Stock motor with simple boltons as stated above is all you need for your current goals...12's -high 11's. If you think you will push it harder (10's or lower)I would consider reaching deeper into pockets for a stronger bottom end of motor if you decide later to start pushing it more, you said "Reliable". You can always add heads intake valvetrain upgrades later. You need to also look into stuff like a Scanmaster, boost, fuel, oil pressure gauges as well if you dont already have them as a means of monitoring engine vitals.

I think I heard Lonnie Diers builds motors as well as trannies, so maybe someone else could verify that..He is out of Cinn...But seeing you purchased the car as a roller is the motor #'s matching to the car?? Even if it is you could set that motor aside and buy a stock unopened motor and very easily get the times your looking for and would save alot of money...Of course this is provided you make sure you get a good motor....Just a money savings option....

I agree with silentbutdeadly, I thought he left Ohio :( No, it is not a #'s matching car, or even a true mileage known car. I had considering get a stock, unopened engine, but I had trouble finding one local, and I'm paranoid when it comes to shipping something like that.

Your goal is obtainable with a stock engine with various bolt-ons, so you would not have the need for a purpose built motor.

I have been very pleased with the engine that Weber built for me. Before, during, and after the build Brian and Dave were there to answer any questions I had. Last year I ran a 10.4 @ 128 on a very rich tune, hopefully I'll make it out to the track soon and best that ET.

I also know that Lee Thompson has 4 200r4 transmissions ready to go, that would fit the bill for your needs. He is located in Bowling Green, KY. Feel free to contact me if interested and I'll get you his number.

Well I will contact Weber and see what they have to say, you've had zero problems with the engine so far? I don' t necessarily want a purpose built engine, but I want something strong enough to hold up to some WOT runs. Are these 200r4s built to handle these ETs? If so, I'd be interested.

Last I heard Lonnie is no longer in the Cinci area...? Stock motor with simple boltons as stated above is all you need for your current goals...12's -high 11's. If you think you will push it harder (10's or lower)I would consider reaching deeper into pockets for a stronger bottom end of motor if you decide later to start pushing it more, you said "Reliable". You can always add heads intake valvetrain upgrades later. You need to also look into stuff like a Scanmaster, boost, fuel, oil pressure gauges as well if you dont already have them as a means of monitoring engine vitals.

I have some of these gauges right now, I still need to buy a scanmaster. I doubt I will push it further, because I don't want to put a 'cage in the car.

After reading some of the horror stories, I am now afraid that even a shop that has expertise with these engines can mess them up. I just don't want to pay handsomely for a build that will blow up at the first WOT run. I know and expect the build to not be cheap, but I just want to ensure it's a quality build.

Ya I forgot about Lonnie relocating and teaming up with Brian...Good luck in your quest...I had my mild built .030 over motor done a few years back...Had some problems with the builder forgetting the oil galley plugs so had to tear off the front cover and address that....Wasn't Weber's but another local shop in Ohio.....

Ya I forgot about Lonnie relocating and teaming up with Brian...Good luck in your quest...I had my mild built .030 over motor done a few years back...Had some problems with the builder forgetting the oil galley plugs so had to tear off the front cover and address that....Wasn't Weber's but another local shop in Ohio.....

Well if it's something small, I could live with it, but if it's a headgasket issue, then I wouldn't be too happy. I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're in Ohio, too? I'm fairly new to the TR world, so please pardon my indiscretions, but are there any other well known builders (even far out of state)?

Glad I could help. Maybe I'll see ya there. I live in IL just off of I-74. Practically a straight shot east for me....but 6 hours of shooting!

Ill be there as a spectator myself this year..:( gotta buncha parts to sell. Its always hot as **** anyways but still a good time.

Awesome, thank you very much, I'll check into this guy. Hopefully I'll be able to put some faces to screen names at the BPG this year

Glad I could help. Maybe I'll see ya there. I live in IL just off of I-74. Practically a straight shot east for me....but 6 hours of shooting!

haha, quite a haul, but hopefully I'll see you there!

Ill be there as a spectator myself this year..:( gotta buncha parts to sell. Its always hot as **** anyways but still a good time.

Well, at least you won't be the only spectator, I'll be standing around sweating, too! Gotta love that Ohio August weather...:rolleyes:

Hmmmm...well if any of these other guys can build quality at a decent price, I'm ready for suggestions!

Back